How long is a women fertile for

I had my periods on the 4th April and finished on the 12th, come the 14th May I found out I was pregnant. But there is a hiccup, I actually broke up with my boyfriend for a couple of days on the 29th and 30th of April and on the 30 of April I had had sex with my ex just once, but apart from that it was only with my boyfriend who I am now back with. Generally you would take it from the first day of your last period to estimate how far along you are which means on the 1st July I should have been 12 weeks and 4 days but I had a scan and it showed 10 weeks and 2 days. Have I totally screwed up here and am I pregnant to my ex? Or are the dates out, because it's saying that I would have had to fall pregnant around the 4th of May which was the day my period was due again? I need a little piece of mind here so I can make the proper decsions. PLEASE HELP

Thank you for your question!

Generally, scans are pretty accurate in terms of telling you how old the unborn baby is. But they are not an exact science.

Your monthly cycle is not exact either and looking at your dates, you could be pregnant by either man since you had sex with them in such close proximity. If you had your period on April 4, your average date of ovulation would have been the days around April 18th, give or take a few days. Did you have sex with your boyfriend around this time? If you are pretty regular, then it would seem more likely that you are pregnant by your boyfriend, not your ex. But if you ovulated later, you could be pregnant by the ex.

All we can tell you is that based on your dates, you are more likely to be pregnant with your current boyfriend but the liklihood isn't 100% or even close. The only way you'll know for sure is submitting your child and either man to a DNA test.

As to your question - how long is a woman fertile? Generally, ovulation lasts about 3 days. So, based on your dates, you would have been fertile from about April 18th, 19th and 20th. Think back to when you had sex with your boyfriend before the breakup.

These calculations can't be taken as fact. As I mentioned, you'll need a DNA test to determine paternity.

How is your current boyfriend dealing with the news you are pregnant? I assume you had unprotected sex with your ex?