how much time does a sperm live in dry atmosphere/outside human body?

By November 15, 2010 - 8:28am

how much time does a sperm live in dry atmosphere?.......
for ex: if i touched my bfs penis by hand, and after 30 mins i had to pee is there a possibility that sperm lived for 30 mins outside the body and got in contact with my vagina??

thank you :)

(reply to Anonymous)

That's what we're here for...to inspire, help, and EmpowHER.
Learn all you can so you can be your own best advocate. Thanks for being a part of the EmpowHER community. :)

but ok, what about having my period a bit late or a bit early??? is there a chance am pregnant?
or its just like that, having my period on time/later/earlier it all means no pregnancy?...
thnx again...
and sorry for my many questions ...

(reply to lili)

As Susan said, having your period generally means you are not pregnant. The best way to avoid pregnancy is to either abstain from sex, or use birth control methods like condoms and spermicide or birth control pills, etc. If you have questions about those, let us know.

hey, i have 2 other questions..
1) i would like to know when does pregnancy symptoms (abdominal aches, dizziness..etc) start to show. is it directly after having sex or it needs some time....??
2) if i had my period on time, it means am not pregnant ya??

(i kindof know all this info, but am just making sure, coz seriously am really worrried am pregnant, i dont want it to happen)

and thnx in advance.

HERWriter Guide (reply to lili)

Hi lili,

Pregnancy symptoms can occur as soon as 4-5 weeks of pregnancy (pretty much around the same time you find out your pregnant after a missed or late period).

Having a period means you are not pregnant.

Have you had any kind of sex education? It does not sound like you have - please let us know and we can point you in the right direction so that you can become educated and knowledgeable about how your body works. This is how you can empower yourself!

We wish you the best!

thnxxx Christine

Hi Lili,
Thanks for your question, and for finding EmpowHER.
In order for pregnancy to occur, sperm have to come into contact with your vagina. It is highly unlikely that you can become pregnant in the way you describe.
For more information and to clear up any confusion you may have, please read this article so you can advocate for yourself on this topic:
Am I Pregnant After Dry Sex?
Good luck and let us know how else we can help you.