How well do you deal with change?

By September 29, 2008 - 9:52am

In the last dozen years, my husband and I have moved from Austin to Phoenix to Washington, D.C. to Atlanta to Kansas City, and we are getting ready for a move back to Texas. While I love getting to know new cities, I've just begun to realize the toll that so much moving creates.

I'm not sure I'm the kind of person who's suited to live in one place all her life, but I think I could deal with a little more stability. Every time we pull up the roots and move (most have been job-oriented), it requires that we deal with real estate, find all new doctors and dentists and vets, and figure out grocery stores, roads to work and where the closest Starbucks is from scratch again.

How do you deal with change? On the stress index, such events as deaths, divorces, moves, job changes or losing a home are stratospheric. And more and more we see the links to mental stress in our physical lives.

Do you exercise? Listen to music? Try to keep your routines no matter what? Or do you go with the flow, trying to lessen whatever resistance you might have to a new situation? I'd be eager to read about others' successes in this area.

First, you are a fellow veg and now you travel around a lot - we're quite alike!

I also have lived in many places and I find that it, ironically, has made me a bit of a creature of habit!

I tend to seek out similar doctors and doctors' offices (ie; female doctors, graduating from big teaching hospitals - a habit of mine), I go to certain kinds of stores I'm used to, and find book shops and restaurants (smaller, independent) that are similar to where I was before. I also like to find the import stores ASAP so I can get my goodies from Europe!

It is a complete pain to move. It's also exciting and exhilarating but the downside to all that adrenalin can be stress.

What I did for my children when we moved house was to face their beds and furniture in the same direction as it was in their old place. I think that helped. I don't have pets but I'd put their beds and toys in similar places to where they used to be. Put your kitchen stuff in similar places too and art work over the same furniture if it works. These little things can help with the transition, especially to help make you new home as familiar as possible.

Now that I have children, playgroups and fun playgrounds will also be important if we move again (not to mention schools!) and one thing I like to do is read all the local magazines, newspapers and evening classes available. Taking classes is great to keep your mind sharp and to make new friends. Community news is your best way to gauge the mindset of your new town.

Before kids, it was easier to keep more to myself as I am pretty content to hang at home with my husband or concentrate on a small group of friends. But now I absolutely have to be more sociable because my kids love to party (kid-style!) with other kids and love play-dates so my need for isolation has to be mostly put to the side.

Good luck with your move! Are you going back to Austin again or somewhere else in Texas?