How worried should I be?

I had sex with my girlfriend, the condom broke and we realized it before i came, we decided then to take plan b just in case. The next morning we did it again without a condom, then got the pill a couple hours later. We are both paranoid about pregnancy. We went online to see when she was ovulation and got a rough estimate from some internet thing that said we were just 4 days away. Which was not re-assuring, again, we are both paranoid people and just want to know what were dealing with.

Yes we will. I will never put her at risk like that again. But whatever happens happens, we took the pill as soon after as we could about 3 hours. I just wish I hadnt been so stupid, I should have known better. Now i have put both of our lives at risk of being changed forever, especially her.

Hi again Anon

A pregnancy can be detected 3-5 days before a period is due. A clinic would test around this time too, whether taken by blood or urine. It's only about 10-14 days to wait although I know that probably seems a lifetime when you're nervous! Don't worry, most of us have been there. Now that you know better, you'll do better, eh?

Wait it out, there is no magic way to know sooner, I'm afraid but hopefully things will work out for you - taking Plan B the way you did was not the best idea but at least you took it and at up to an 80% effective rate - it's certainly better than nothing.

Yes well i think we both learned our lesson. It was our first time and we thought plan B was more effective than the reality. I just hope we do not have to learn this lesson the hard way. We have already had a bad experience with condoms so we dont want to even take that risk again. Our relationship was fine without sex and were not eager to get back into it without further protection. This is especially a big deal as it is against what we believe to have an abortion, and i am not ready to become a father nor her a mother at 18. When and how can pregnancy be first detected? Can a clinic do it with a blood test before a home pregnancy test could?

Anytime you have unprotected sex, there is a chance of pregnancy.

Plan B can decrease the chances of pregnancy, but is not a reliable form of birth control.

Using a condom is up to 98% effective, and if you did not ejaculate, there would not be a risk of pregnancy in the one instance.

I am not understanding if you two are both "paranoid" so much about pregnancy, that you are using condoms (great for you!), getting Plan B "just in case" (again, smart move!)....that you would then decide that unprotected sex is a good choice?! Having unprotected sex is the way to get pregnant, so this does create a chance for pregnancy.

Plan B is not a guarantee, and is not a "free pass" to have unprotected sex. Plan B is not a good form of birth control; it helps prevent a possible pregnancy but by only 80% at best.

Women's bodies are not like clockwork, and they can ovulate at any time in their cycle. Most women ovulate around the middle of their cycle, and there is no website that can tell a woman when she is ovulating, or about to ovulate. A woman may ovulate exactly on "day 14" every cycle, but then "out-of-the-blue" may ovulate on "day 7" or "day 20".

I'm sorry I can not offer any reassurance; you both will need to wait until her next period begins, or take a home pregnancy test if her expected period has not begun. When is she expecting her period?

Anonymous (reply to Alison Beaver)

In about 2 or 3 weeks. We have decided not to do it again until we get a regular birth control pill. Which brings up another question, can we get it from a planned parenthood center without it going on her insurance so her parents cant see?

As Alison said, you can't have unprotected sex with the mindset that you can just go and get Plan B and everything will be ok. Plan B cannot be used as regular birth control and is not in anyway as reliable as condoms or the Pill so I don't think you are as paranoid as you should be!

You will have to wait it out until her period comes and she can attend a clinic as you said, and get on birth control, without parental knowledge. But check your own state laws on this as some states have different laws to others. This will be a prescription medication that she cannot get over the counter.

I'm not a fan of a teen girl being on the Pill without parental knowledge. I assume she is a teen - is that correct? The Pill can be rendered redundant by any number of other medications, antibiotics or the like and contraindications may also occur. So anytime your girlfriend is on any kind of medication, she will have to ask her doctor if it's ok to also take birth control pills. This can be tricky if her parents don't know about this. I'd advocate more for condoms than a hormonal medication like the Pill. Condoms are very effective and adding something like a spermicidal insert can make it even more effective or do damage control if a condom breaks (something that is not a common occurrence).

Do a search for clinic in your neighborhood and have your girlfriend call them and get information or to schedule an appointment.

Wishing you both the best,