HPV Concern

I was diagnosed with HPV today and I have been in a committed relationship for three years. I have had a normal pap test every year since we started dating and everytime (except this time) it has come back normal. Is it possible that it wouldnt show up on a pap when it is dormant? Or has he been sleeping with someone else with the disease??? I am talking with him tonight but I need more information before we discuss things.

Dear Anon

I'm sorry you've had this diagnosis but it's good you know you have it so you can have it monitored via pap tests.

Yes, it can remain dormant in your system for a long time without you knowing it and if it becomes active (anything can make this happen, from stress to ill health or for no apparent reason at all) it'll show up in your pap test.

So you may have had it from before your current relationship started.

However, your boyfriend, if unfaithful and even if using condoms, could have given this to you from contracting it via a more recent encounter.

Unfortunately, one cannot get a time-line for HPV and there is no test for men right now, although some men have their HPV manifested in the form of genital warts - then that's the sign. However, most men with HPV remain without symptoms.

Unless you think there may be a chance of cheating, try not to focus on it too much - you may be accusing him wrongly or you may have had it for years and given it to him, rather than the other way around. Your best bet it to focus on making sure you get regular paps to monitor for changes in the cervix.

Is there any reason to suspect cheating, do you think?

Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Sexually Transmitted Diseases Guide