HPV Vaccine for Women Over 25

By March 19, 2008 - 11:15am

Do you think this is a good idea or do you think this is a case of a woman getting a vaccine or medication for a problem that doesn't exist?

For more, read this story ...

What concerned me most about Spitzer is his request of these prostitutes (who insist that they are not hookers, we must call them 'call girls' or 'escorts' and they like the 'high priced' description that precedes the label too) that they not use condoms. These women did complain to their employers that his requests were "not safe" and I believe he was not successful in his attempts.

By the way, I don't necessarily think prostitution should be illegal, this isn't a dig at these women.

But I can only shake my head at anyone who would go without a condom with ANY stranger but a prostitute?

My concern is that he was successful with a prostitute other than these particular women. I'm sure he was. I hope Mrs. Spitzer ran, not walked, to her doctor.

Some friends of ours mentioned that if the husband cheated on our female friend, he better worry about finding his entire wardrobe dumped on the front lawn. I smiled sweetly at my lovely husband and pointed to a certain area of his body and told him his clothes would be fine. If I were him it wouldn't be his clothes I'd be worried about.

Without knowing the health risks or consequences of the vaccine for women in this age range; assuming it is the same for girls and women ages 9-26 (as vaccine is FDA-approved for this age range), I would say "why not?" approve and recommend this vaccine for "older" women. It is a recommendation, not a requirement, so women have a CHOICE.

As far as I see it, women (and men!) are getting married later in life, are not waiting until marriage to have sexual relationships (please don't forget: some folks do not choose to become married, or are not legally able to be married) ...all of these are potential factors in an increase of sexual partners and, therefore, an increased risk for HPV.

This is a vaccine to prevent cervical cancer.. it's an amazing discovery in our lifetime!!

And, may I add, with all this "hoopla" surrounding Spitzer and prostitution (I have noticed way-too-many TV "news" shows discussing the prostitution topic): being married or in a committed relationship (read my post regarding monogamous relationships: serial or mutual) is not a 100% guarantee that the woman is protected from acquiring an STI (sexually transmitted infection).

Cervical Cancer

Cervical Cancer Guide