hypogastic pain

By October 18, 2010 - 9:09am

i wanna know what possible reasons could make my hypogastic area painful. the pain is like the pain of menstruation but my period is done for more than 1 week now. i just felt it suddenly and it makes me worry. what could it be?

Hi again, Janelle!

You don't have to be technical when describing body locales - just let us know where the pain is (tummy, pelvis, uterus etc).

And it's ok to panic - sudden pain is scary!

Your pain could have been anything from a bit of gas to a nerve to one of those weird, hard twinges we get for no reason! But it also could be something more serious so if it happens again, you may want to place a call to your doctor.

Has it happened since, Janelle? If so, can you describe it?

i just experienced it over night. maybe i got it wrong with the hypogastric region. the area is just above the mons pubis so i thought maybe it has something to do with my reproductive system. the left part of that area hurt over night. it was the first time so i panicked.

Hi Janelle

Thanks for your post and welcome!

Do you mean hypergastRic region, meaning your abdominal region?

If so, there may be no connection to your menstrual cycle and may be an issue with your stomach or digestive system. Is this the first time it has happened? If so, you may want to try to see if a pattern emerges - wait to see if it happens again next month, about a week after your period. Do you keep up with annuals at the gynecological office?

With regard to your belly/digestive system, do you have a history of problems in this region? What are you experiencing, aside from cramps or general discomfort? Are you constipated? Do you have diarrhea? Do you know if you have any allergies to foods?

If this is the first time, you may have a gastric bug. But if it continues, I think a visit to the doctor is warranted so at least you can figure out where the problem actually is - your reproductive area, your gastric area, your colon area...

Please update me a little more as to how long this has been going on and all your symptoms. I hope to hear back from you soon,