Facebook Pixel

Hysterectomy w/removal of one or both ovaries?

By January 2, 2011 - 4:06am
Rate This

I'm having a TLH and also removing the left ovary/tube due to a very large cyst on Jan 6th. My right ovary also has a cyst, but it's smaller. I am undecided as to whether I should also have the right ovary removed. It would mean I wouldn't have any more worries, but it would also put me into surgical menopause, which terrifies me! I'm 47 1/2 and have Fibromyalgia, which comes with a host of issues, including extreme fatigue, pain and insomnia. I'm barely functional now, due to the Fibro, and am scared to death that removing both ovaries would make me completely non-functional. On the other hand, I worry that leaving the ovary could cause problems later on and I'd have to subject myself to yet another surgery. Also, taking HRT is probably not something I will be able to do, since I tend to not tolerate drugs well. Any advice would be greatly helpful, as I'm going in for surgery on Thurs and need to make a decision ASAP!...thanks!

Add a Comment1 Comments

It sounds like you've already made a decision, based on the information you provided, but just want some reassurance? Of course, no one can help you make up your mind, and is actually not appropriate for anyone to do so, as we are not privy to your medical conditions, family health history, lifestyle choices and other circumstances.

To help with your decision process, what I interpreted from your question is:
1. More cons about surgically removing both ovaries were given.
2. You have one worry about leaving the other ovary in place, that is a possible need for surgery in the future.
3. You have numerous worries about removing the other ovary, and those are likely scenarios (symptoms) and a definite scenario (menopause).

Perhaps the one piece of information you need to know, in order to make your decision: can your doctors provide you with reassurance about leaving the other ovary in place, with regards to:
a) how likely, or percent chance, that you will have another surgery (this can be based on severity of your current condition, family history of reproductive conditions, etc). How much larger would the cyst need to grow in order for a second surgery to be recommended?
b) what does your life look like after January 6th, if your other ovary is left in place? how many screenings and doctor appointments will be needed to keep an eye on the cyst? what is your emotional well-being? your physical well-being?
c) what does your life look like after Jan 6th, if other ovary is in place? you already mentioned your fears of physical well-being (menopausal symptoms). what is your emotional well-being?

I hope this helps in your decision, and please let us know if you need any additional information. I hope you hear from other women within the next few days what their choices were (if they were in the same situation). I will look around on the site to see if I can find other discussions; you can do a search for "ovary" or "ovaries" and "surgery" or "removal" to see what discussions you find as well.

Please keep us updated on your decision, and what your doctors are suggesting as well.

January 2, 2011 - 12:46pm
Enter the characters shown in the image.
By submitting this form, you agree to EmpowHER's terms of service and privacy policy
Add a Comment

All user-generated information on this site is the opinion of its author only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for any medical conditions. Members and guests are responsible for their own posts and the potential consequences of those posts detailed in our Terms of Service.