I already hav some symptoms of esophogeal cancer. Should I have to wait over a month for testing?

By December 14, 2011 - 12:06pm

Thanks for te advice. I'll try.

I have not been diagnosed. Based on a referral fro my primary care physicians, I am schedulled for an INTERVIEW with a specialist for January 17th. AT THE POINT THE REFERRAL WAS MADE, NO INFO HAD BEEN TRANSMITTED,AAS FAR AS i KNOW. SINCE THEN, i DON'T KNOW.Oops. A couple of years ago. I had a stress test based on my reports of discomfort and exhaustion in my upper body. tested normal.
Two months ago, I reported that discomfort in my back had progressed to mild pain. I also reported a cough, and belching that felt like it had to be forced.
The following month, I could not swallow more than a couple of spoonfuls of breajfast, had a bad oain uin my back, and regurgitated a few times a quantity of food and mucous. I reported this, along with hoarseness, coughin, and more back pain. This resulted in the referral. They also put me on omeprazole.

HERWriter Guide (reply to gramma0002)

Hi again and thanks for getting back to us.

Your symptoms so indeed sound a bit worrisome although hopefully your results show something less serious going on.

Specialists do sometimes have waiting times but to wait a month just to see someone isn't right.

Can you contact your doctor and see if you can get in sooner?

Another thing to is to call your specialist's office every single morning to check for cancellations; let them know you'll be doing this. Ask to be put on a list for unplanned openings. You actually have a pretty good chance of getting in earlier. Let you family or work know (only as much as you need to tell work) that you are on standby.

Is this possible, do you think?

Hi gramma0002

Thank you for your question and welcome!

I know a month feels like year when waiting for health tests or diagnosis.

Have you had an actual diagnosis of this kind of cancer yet?

You can read all about esophageal cancer here: http://www.empowher.com/condition/esophageal-cancer/definition

Symptoms include:

• Trouble swallowing
  • Painful swallowing
  • Cough
  • Hoarse voice
  • Pain in the throat, back, chest
  • Nausea, vomiting
  • Coughing up blood
  • Weight loss

gramma0002 - are these symptoms what you are experiencing?

Here is an article about four questions you should ask your doctor if you get a diagnosis.

Please let us know if this has helped - your waiting time to see a specialist likely depends on what you have discussed with your doctor so far- can you tell about that?

I hope you get in touch with us soon,

Esophageal Cancer

Esophageal Cancer Guide