I am an 18 year old virgin, my period is two weeks late

I returned from a one-week holiday abroad approx. two weeks ago.
I usually get my period around the beginning of the month, but I was traveling and heard that traveling could potentially mess with your cycle, and didn't end up having my period when traveling.
I assumed that I'd get it when my body will so called heal from traveling, but I didn't and now it's two weeks late!
I am 18, and a virgin (definitely- cause I don't have a boyfriend or have done anything basically so that's for sure) and I don't know what's going on. Also, I definitely gained a little weight probably from being on vacation and eating whatever and just sitting around. I know that I am a virgin for SURE but I still am worried I could be pregnant from sitting on an uncovered public toilet or something lol I know it sounds ridiculous but I need help! Thanks❤️

Welcome to EmpowHER. I am glad you reached out to our community with your concern about your late period.

Pregnancy is definitely not the cause. And, you are correct, you cannot become pregnant by sitting on a public restroom toilet seat:)

Traveling can affect your menstrual cycle.

When you are traveling, especially to a faraway city or overseas, the time change will interfere with your normal internal biological clock or circadian rhythm. This is what is referred to as jet lag, and rapid air travel across various time zones can lead to a number of problems. It can cause many problems, from exhaustion, irritability, and fatigue to stomach problems and lack of appetite.

A study was conducted on this, and it indicated that women have sleep disturbances seventy percent of the time after they cross a time zone. This is another example of how a major disruption in the circadian rhythm could have a huge effect on your period. As a matter of fact, the same study shows the well-documented fact that female flight attendants are commonly affected by irregular menstrual cycles.

Hormone release and various other vital bodily functions are influenced by your circadian rhythm. Whenever it’s off, your hormones such as progesterone and estrogen, which play an important role in your menstrual and ovulation, will be thrown off. Estrogen could spike to trigger ovulation or the spike might be delayed because of changes in your rhythm and cause your period to come later than normal.

Hope you had a lovely trip abroad,

Anonymous (reply to Maryann Gromisch RN)

Hi, Maryann, maybe you could help me PLEASE?
I was having lower abdomen pains like I do usually before getting my period, but they stopped and I still haven't gotten it! Is it normal? please?

Guide (reply to Anonymous)

That is hard to say. Some would be happy that the lower abdominal pain stopped:) Your concern should focus on when you get your period, how you feel and what is normal for you.

Thanks so much, Maryann! ❤️