I am 22 weeks pregnant with cervical incompentancy. Need advise please

Hi. I stay in Dubai and I underwent a operation(stiches on the cervex) on the 20th week as my cervex opened by 2.2cm.Since then I am on bed rest.I am in my 23rd week and underwent a scanning yesterday and the report shows that the internal OS is open and the cervical length is 2.2cm.Is it advisable for me to travel from Dubai to India ? would there be any risk for the baby or the mother?

Thanks so much for your question and it's always good for us to be reminded of how global Empowher has become!

Congratulations on your pregnancy although I'm sorry to see you are having complications.

To simplify things for any of our readers who may be a bit lost on what cervical incompetency is for a women in pregnancy: this is an issue where a woman's cervix (the cervix in the opening to the uterus) opens or weakens (thins) in a pregnancy leaving a risk factor for premature labor or rupture of the amniotic membranes.

Anon - has your doctor talked to you about having your cervix stitched? This is known as a cerclage and the stitches are then removed before birth, or can remain if the woman has a c-section. For more information on this procedure, read our Encyclopedia section on cerclage here: http://www.empowher.com/media/reference/surgical-procedures-preterm-labor-and-delivery

Please talk to your doctor about this procedure and see if he/she thinks it's viable.

And here are some tips about talking to your doctor about this topic: http://www.empowher.com/media/reference/talking-your-doctor-about-preterm-labor-and-delivery

As far as travel is concerned - that is something only you and your doctor can decide. You may decide that it's better not to risk it. Depending on where you are going to in India, the flight could be anywhere from 3-6 hours, not including delays or layovers. Is travel very necessary? Can it wait until after the baby is born?

Please update us!