I am 50 and have joint pain in my knees, elbows, shoulders and hips. I was tested for Vitamin D and I am deficient and no inflamation was reported in my blood workup. What is wrong and what can I do??

By Anonymous April 6, 2009 - 7:52am

My knees hurt so bad that I can hardly go up stairs. It seems I dont have the strength to pull me up each step because of the pain. I am a very active person, living on a farm and riding horses. What is happening to me??

Do you want to find quick remedy for pain? Just try doing some stretching exercises or consult a physiotherapist.
Eric Bradshaw

Hello, what test do you say is needed for autoimmune-condition?

It could be Lyme Disease, especially since you say you're around horses, on a farm, etc..

Dear Anon, I totally agree with SusanC suggestion of consulting a doctor and run some tests. Women go through many changes around your age and most of the time we ignore it or find "band-aid" solutions instead of finding the root causes. I am an advocate of natural cures or therapies and my first "gut" feeling is that your body is experiencing burn out either due to poor nutrition, lack of essential mineral supplementation or extreme physical excertion, toxicity due to harmful toxins in the environment or emotional stress. You mentioned you live in a farm, are you exposed to pesticides or herbicides? If so, a detoxification plan may be long overdue.

Your symptoms could indicate early stages of premature arthritis and they may be manifesting because your body is overloaded.

I suggest getting started on:

1. Daily intake of fish oil of at least 2,000 mg.
2. MSM (Methylsulfonylmethane)provides the mineral sulfur which is an integral component of cartilage in your body. 2,000 mg per day will be a good start
3. Eat foods high in anti-oxidants (fresh berries for example). Anti-oxidants help prevent joint tissue destruction
4. Drink plenty of water to detoxify
5. Ask your doctor to check hormonal levels and those of Vitamin D, Calcium and Magnesium. If they are low, start taking supplements or increase foods in your diet that contain these natural minerals
6. If you are a red meat eater, I suggest you stop now. Women should not be eating meat during menopause.
Wish you well.

Dear Anon,

Thanks for your question and I'm so glad you found Empowher!

There can be many reasons for joint pain. Often a joint pain can often mean arthritis, lupus or many other auto immune conditions (there are about 80 of them) Have you seen a rhumatologist?

You seem to be in terrible pain; you shouldn't have to live with that! You may need to have extensive blood work done to see if an autoimmune condition is what you have and you can start on a program that can ease the symptoms. You may also need to modify your diet and the exercise you take. All of this can help (or hinder, if done incorrectly) your condition.

I have enclosed some links below - the first is another readers questions and her issues are followed by information that includes nutrition.

The second link will lead you to further information as to why you may be experiencing all this pain. An auto immune condition might be the obvious immediate suspect but only testing will tell.

Also, we have a section in Empowher, dedicated to this issue. You can find it here : http://www.empowher.com/condition/autoimmune-conditions

Does any of this ring a bell with you? Aside from the symptoms you mentioned, are you recognizing anything else?

With regard to your comment about Vitamin D - it was cut off on the title - can you let us know what you wanted to say about that?

Thank you!

Arthritis Guide