I am a 59 year old women. My sex drive in gone and I feel dead inside. What do I need to do?

By Anonymous January 13, 2012 - 8:41am

I cannot go on any hormones because I start breakthrough bleeding. I don't have any energy, or interest in anything anymore. I don't sleep well, and when I wake I'm still tired.

Thanks for your post and I'm sorry you are do down. It's an awful feeling to feel dead inside and it takes a huge physical toll too.

It sounds like menopause is a big part of the problem. What kind of HRT did you do? Did you use synthetic or bio identical hormones? Women say choosing a particular kind has really helped. If one hasn't worked for you, think about trying the other.

You also may have a rather deep case of depression. Have you been in touch with a doctor about this? Therapy could really help you. A combination or medication and therapy could also be helpful - you'll have to decide on that yourself. Sometimes it's touch and go for a few months until you adjust to either therapy, medication or a combination of both.

Exercise is one of the first (and sometimes the best) recommendations for those with depression. Exercise not only improves body fuction but releases chemicals in the brain that relieve so many symptoms of depression. Are you in a gym or do you have someone who could walk with you or take regular exercise with you? If you don't want to leave home, a simple exercise DVD at home can really help you.

Please talk to your doctor about the many options you have. You are only 59 and far too young to be feeling like this, you have a whole life ahead of you.

Please stay in touch with us-

Menopause Guide