I am on birth control but very often forget to take my pill for days at a time. Still not pregnant somehow. Should I be concerned about infertility?

I've had several friends who have gotten pregnant from missing a day or two, and one who became pregnant after being off her pill for only 10 days. I have been on the pill for the past 6 years (I'm 22 now). Over the last year I've gotten pretty bad about remembering to take it every day, and have maybe taken half of the pack in the last month. Still not pregnant somehow. Like seriously, I have no idea how I'm not pregnant. It's kind of insane how irresponsible I've been with remembering to take these things and I don't know how I've managed to get this far without getting knocked up. I know my mom had said that it took her a while to get pregnant with me when she stopped taking birth control, and my mom's mom suffered several miscarriages in between the children she did have so I don't know if maybe that is a factor, but my doctor doesn't have any openings until August so I figured I would see if anyone had any input since I've never talked to anyone who has experienced this. I'd like to have kids eventually, but I've just always assumed that I was too young to be concerned about infertility.

It's not actually common to get pregnant by missing one pill - to have several friends that this happens to might mean your friends may have exaggerated a little. Or skipped a lot more.

In terms of your own reproductive health, if you have months where you only take the pill 50% of the time, then you may have some sort of infertility issue (or your partner does) . It sounds like you are subconsciously trying to get pregnant, or even consciously, as no woman I know who doesn't want a child would ever be missing pills like this!

Nobody knows if they have fertility problems until they really try for a baby but these are questions you can definitely ask your doctor. Make sure your partner knows you are skipping all these pills so that he knows he may become a father.

Hopefully everything will be fine.

Thanks for the input! And yeah, my fiance knows. He wants kids way more than I do. (He keeps teasing me that I should just give up taking them altogether) I guess I just won't know for certain if anything is wrong until I can talk to my doctor. And see about doing something that requires less day-to-day remembering.

Infertility / Fertility

Infertility / Fertility Guide