I am due to have my gallbladder removed, very worried about gaining weight. I have lost 4stone over 14 months and on HRT for 20 years, I don't have my overies.

Thanks for your post and congratulations on the weight loss!

I had my gallbladder removed this year too.

Weight gain is NOT automatic at all. While there are lots of posts about huge weight gain there isn't much scientific evidence to back this up.

You may have to change your diet after. I am vegetarian and went vegan for two weeks. Then eased back into eating some cheese for protein (it's about the only dairy I eat).

One reason for weight gain is that you may be a bit immobile for a few weeks after. It's a painful recovery and you won't be able to move around much. This inactivity can trigger weight gain.

As soon as you're feeling better - WALK!

I started walking 4-5 miles five days a week and boy, that got me into shape. Do something like this and really watch your calories and you won't gain weight. Watch what you eat carefully for those first few inactive weeks.

When you have the surgery it's time to be very mindful about what you eat and how your move your body. Doing this will ensure you don't gain weight.

By the way, you may be hugely bloated for a few weeks after the surgery. Don't worry about it, it'll go down. It's a side effect of the surgery, not weight gain.

I wish you the best.