Community

Can't Find Something?

Pat Elliott HERWriter Guide

ASK Moderation Guidelines

ask: I am having constant dull aching pain in both hips, what can I do?

I read through lots of post about women having hip pain at night. I started out having hip pain at night while sleeping on my side (both hips). Now both hips are aching constantly and sometimes I will have a "catch" in my sciatic area that takes my breath for a second. The pain is also radiating to my knees occasionally. It is starting to affect my daily activities. I have not started taking Ibuprofen because I don't want to depend on pain relievers. I have tried sleeping with a pillow between my knees to no avail. I have to sleep on my back to get any relief. I was diagnosed to tibial band syndrome and sought PT. That helped the "popping" band but not the hip pain. The two don't seem to be related. I sleep on an orthopedic friendly mattress but have a 10 inch memory foam top on it. Does this sound arthritic in nature? I am not opposed to seeing a chiropractor but have not had good experiences with the only 2 I've ever seen.

Anonymous

I suspect you might have hip dysplasia –– I do, and these are very like my symptoms. Ask your doctor to get you an X-ray and MRI with arthrogram, so you know for sure.

Anonymous

I am 16 and am having the same problems (hip pain going down to my knees). I was diagnosied (however you spell it) with Fibromyalgia in 2011. Any time i tell my mom about my hip pain she just says its most likely my fibromyalgia. If anyone finds out what is really causing their pain please post

Anonymous

I also have these same symptoms .. but the past 3 days the hip and thigh pain has become unbearable. It is usually at night when I lay on it. But what started out as a night time problem has now spread to days as well. The hip pain is prodominant on the BONE of the hip and radiates down and throughout the leg. Prodominant pain too in the middle front of the thigh where there is no joint. I have been to doctors and ER for it and they do xrays but claim I need an MRI to diagnose it properly.. they first thought it was my T band as well.. but its radiating further down the leg.. sometimes I can feel the pain in the maximus as well.. in the bones. I hope for both our sakes its something that will go away with time.. but mine seems to be getting worse with time.

Have you read through this similar post: Hip Pain Middle of the Night?

Could you read through this, and provide more information about your exact symptoms based on what others have written about (some women have offered suggestions, others are describing their symptoms).

Anonymous (reply to Alison Beaver)

Thanks for your help. I read through about 6 pages of that post and didn't quite fit the bill. My hip pain is now constant and radiating to knees and lower legs. It varies in intensity and dose not always radiate. I can lay on either side for about 30 or 45 minutes before it becomes quite painful. I can feel the pain when I am walking though the grocery store with running shoes on. I wear dansko clogs at work most days. When I do wear heels they are Tsubo and fairly orthodic. I could definitely stand to lose 20 pounds and am working on that now. My mother has this same kind of pain and thinks it is arthritis. She has not been medically examined and diagnosed. She swears caffeine makes the pain increase in frequency. I do drink 1-2 cups of coffee a day and maybe additional tea.

Alison Beaver (reply to Anonymous)

I agree that it does not sound like the other women's symptoms, since your pain includes your hip, knees and lower legs.

This is important to talk with your doctor, who can recommend you to a specialist (perhaps depending if your pain is thought to be muscular, joint, nerve or other origin).

I do not doubt that your mom experiences an increase in pain with caffeine; it really is a powerful drug that ironically can help decrease painful headaches (others do experience an increase in pain). You may want to make some changes in your diet, as well as other lifestyle behaviors to see if there are any improvements (sleep, exercise, stress, yoga, decrease stress, change positions to sitting or standing at work, etc). Perhaps even switching to decaf (or half-and-half) is an option, but I would still have a proper diagnosis from your doctor.

It actually sounds like it could be many different conditions, and the only way to know for sure would be to have your ache/chronic pain diagnosed now that the "pop" is gone. The radiating/shooting/traveling pain from your hip to your knee could be a form of arthritis or tendinitis. The sciatica nerve runs from your hip to your knee, and the exact location of the pain should be diagnosed for proper treatment. Let me see what I can find for you in regards to hip pain, and I'm not sure if a Chiropractor is the best person to do the initial screening or diagnosis. I will research this a little further and send some information to you later today!

Anonymous (reply to Alison Beaver)

A chiroquacker is not the best person to see. I have chronic sciatica from permanent damage done to my ischiadic nerve . In my case, the effects are felt from your hip to your knee, then to the side of your calf, then to the side of your foot,(not just to the knee) making walking difficult.

What do you think is the most important health test for women?: