I am in my Mid-Twenties and my sex drive seems to be changing. What is the science behind a higher libido based on a womans age?

By January 4, 2012 - 12:11pm

My mom keeps telling me that I am nearly "in my prime" when it comes to sexual activity. That there is this idea that women are most sexually active in their 30's. I'm curious as to the research that goes behind this, what is medically accurate, and what is misconception.

Hi Sondra

In terms of the science behind libido/sex drive - it's generally hormonally based - meaning our hormones that produce libido are considered their strongest from the mid teens to the mid 40s. Women will differ, of course. Factors like childbirth and nursing- again, often hormonally based, as well as the ensuing fatigue - are factors. So is general overall health and diet.

There are many other factors including depression, self-esteem (generally higher in the 30s and 40s), self-image and many other emotional and societal factors including financial and career setbacks or successes.

You also need to remember that sex surveys and research are not always reliable due to the nature of women and men; we're not always honest (even with ourselves) about our own sexuality. Even anonymous research is not always reliable.

Misconceptions are often due to cultural and societal expectations or limitations and are also heavily media based. This affects sexuality far more than the biology of sex.

I hope this has helped in a general sense. To delve deeply into these topics, further study (both scientific and sociological) is needed. Also, plain old life experiences of you and other women are sometimes the best "science" of all!