Menopause

Menopause Guide

ask: I am post menopausal and have extreme sweating of the head, face and back of the neck. It is not medicine related. Is this an endocrine problem

It is very likely that the extreme sweating is caused by the fluctuations in estrogen levels. Some women will continue to experience hot flashes once they have reached menopause.

When your menstrual cycle finally stops, estrogen levels drop fairly dramatically. the drop can impact a part of the brain that regulates body temperatures. The body has a thermal neutral zone, which means the body temperature stays stable even when the temperature around us changes slightly. It is theorized that a drop in estrogen levels may narrow the thermal neutral zone, so that the small changes in outside temperature causes a rise in body heat.

Researchers have also theorized that differences in levels of the hormone leptin, which is produced by fat cells, and a drop in blood sugar may play a role in hot flashes.

All the best,

Anonymous (reply to Maryann Gromisch RN)

I also suffer from this same experience. It gets to the point that my hair even though short gets absolutely drenched in sweat, the persperation runs down my face and actually forms droplets, it is also very salty and stings my eyes. Nothing in particular brings this on. I am 68. A few suggestions to get relief or help by the RN would have been helpful.

Do you have hot flashes due to menopause? :