I am struggling with flashbacks. I know this isn't new, but for me it is.

I was sexually abused at the age of 4-5 years of age. It was by a neighbor boy. I will be 59 years old in a few weeks. I thought I had this abuse dealt with 24 years ago. But, I was wrong, this time around I am having flashbacks. I did not have any flashbacks last time I went through therapy. I find myself wandering around and not able to focus very well. I have always been a self disciplined individual but right now I cannot remember things people tell me. This is very frightening for me and I find myself struggling with small tasks. Is this a normal response to flashbacks?

Thank you for your post and I'm sorry the past is creeping up on you.

There are no hard and fast rules about how we cope with past abuse, even if it's 50 years ago. Childhood trauma can affect a person for life, although hopefully not in a debilitating way.

I think it's a good idea for you to back into therapy, if you can. Something (you don't realize yet) may have triggered these flashbacks and therapy can help you sort things out and regain coping mechanisms. Sexual abuse as a child is one of the worst traumas one can suffer and you not be punished decades later. Please talk to your doctor or begin more therapy sessions. And please stay in touch with us!

Emotional Health

Emotional Health Guide