Angina

Angina Guide

Christine Jeffries

ask: i am worried about angina. since yeday after i reach 146 hr during exercise a pain like trapped gas starts at my upper back towards the front. today though when i continued my workout it went away even though i reached 173hr.

i have a chest infection and 2 months ago was diagnosed with mild anemia. i hadn't exercised for a week due to easter but yeday 10 mins through my walking i started getting pain in my upper back and i stopped .

it happened again 2 hrs later when i was walking with my children this time my chest also hurt like it was bruised. could it be panic attack since i have also been suffering this ? today as i mentioned i exercised at home and at 146hr boom again the same thing but i didn't finish my workout instead i continued and had no problem at all. was it angina? i am 34fem 58 kg/1.66 perfect cholesterol, no triglykerides no uric acid nothing all super.... and i eat very healthily veggies and everything. so what is going on ???

Hi Tonia

In addition to Diane's great advice, I think it's a good idea to have this checked out before your 6 week checkup. You may have angina, or something called Tachycardia.

Tachycardia is a rapid heart rate of more than 100 beats per minute. Sinus tachycardia, from the heart's sinus node, is a normal response to exercise, illness, or stress.

There are several types of abnormal tachycardias or arrhythmias . These can come from two places:

Atria (the two smaller chambers on the top of the heart)—called supraventricular tachycardias
Ventricles (the lower chambers of the heart)—called ventricular tachycardia

This condition can be life-threatening. But, it can be treated. If you think you or someone you know has this condition, get emergency help.

Please take a look at our tachycardia page here: http://www.empowher.com/media/reference/tachycardia#definition

Since you have recently been ill and are exercising, your symptoms match pretty closely. We can't diagnose you, of course, but I do suggest you get this checked out and to reconsider exercising until you know what's going on.

What do you think?

tonia

hi thanks for replying. this "episode" happened 4 days ago. i have kept exercising and my heart
rate reached almost 180 and nothing. it has not happened since but if it does i'll be sure to
tell my dr. i'm having my annual appt in about 6 weeks anyway. also since that day i've noticed
my back muscles seem very sore.

i don't know what my rate was before a couple of months ago but since i bought a wrist monitor
pulse watch i've definitely become obsessed.

do y still think i have to check it out immy ?

tks

Diane Porter

Anon,

Welcome to EmpowHer! And thank you so much for writing.

I need to encourage you to make an appointment with your doctor and tell her or him what's going on with this as soon as you can. Yes, it might be a panic attack, and yes, it might be something innocent like gas, but yes, it could also be angina. Angina presents differently in men than in women sometimes, but with the pain in your back and your chest that you are experiencing, I'd feel better if you'd get checked out.

173 is a very high heart rate, Anon. Why are you exercising to get to this high of a heart rate? Is this normal for you?

Do you suffer from springtime allergies?: