I am worried about my 82 yr old mother. Her one remaining kidney is only functioning at 25percent according to her doctor. What does this mean for her? Will she manage at that level without dialysis?

By Anonymous April 30, 2010 - 5:39am

Dear Anonymous

I'm sorry to see your mother is having such health difficulties.

A person with only one quarter of one kidney working is in a serious state, I'm afraid to say. May I ask why she is not getting dialysis? Will it not work for her or is she refusing? Does she have any other conditions, like diabetes? How is she functioning right now?

Has her doctor said she is approaching end-stage renal failure? If she does not get dialysis and goes down to 15% function, she may be considered terminal. I know this isn't news anyone wants to hear.

I'm sorry to ask you so many questions but a little more information would be great.

Thank you so much for looking out for her this way and we hope for an update from you as soon as possible.

Kidney Disease