I and my wife had sex five days before her period and five days after, that is ten days in a row. so we want to know why she did not get pregnant?

I and my wife had sex five days before her period and five days after, that is ten days in a row and she did not get pregnant . why? could you tell me?

Dear Doctor,
My period usually last for 5 days. I have earlier had a miscarriage( i waited it out). After two scan, i was to told am clear and that i can try again. I took a decision to see my first period before giving-in to another attempt. 3weeks after the last scan my period came as usual though very heavy for the first 4days and eventually ended on the fifth day. I decided to embark on an important long road trip, after 3days, i started seeing a flow again though not heavy as before, but its 3days-on. Should i be concerned? or was it just the stress from the road trip? it might take a while before i return back to my base to see my doctor. What is your Advise?

Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Reach out to your physician with a phone call and report what has happened.

Thank you for reaching out to EmpowHER with your question!

A woman has about a 15-20% chance of pregnancy each month so even though she has sex, it doesn't mean she's going to get pregnant.

Having sex in the five days before her period is due is not the best time to try for pregnancy because that time is the end of the cycle. Women are generally fertile mid-cycle so you need to try for a baby from approximately days 8-18. Day 1 is the first day of her period. Many people have sex every other day around this time.

Pregnancy does not happen for many couples as soon as they start trying - it's not always that easy. Mot couples are successful within 6 months.

Read more about ovulation and pregnancy here: http://www.empowher.com/infertility-fertility/content/whats-ovulation-have-do-pregnancy