I buy organic sunscreen and bug spray for my kids. What should I look for?

By EmpowHER June 26, 2014 - 5:03pm

What ingredients should I look for (or avoid) when choosing organic sunscreen and bug repellents for my family? 

Hi EmpowHER

Well, by buying organic, you have already sorted out the chemicals you may want to avoid and many of the choices you are making are chemical free - a key factor in buying organics like this. 

So you're on the right track already! 

Some chemicals to avoid are oxybenzone - this is thought to mimic estrogen and nobody needs this in their body. Homosalate is thought to do this do. Look for these ingredients and avoid them. Your organics likely don't contain them. 

In terms of bug spray - I buy only DEET free spray. Most bug sprays have DEET but DEET has been linked to brain damage, fatigue, weakness and breathing problems in rats. DEET is an insecticide that, in my opinion, has come up far too often as damaging animals in studies and can interact with medications. Just avoid it.  Some will disagree with me on that! 

Buying DEET free is your best option since you have options! Also, I have heard that dryer sheets are great for keeping biters at bay and a citronella mix is great too, but it may be a tad greasy. 

Here is a great article that will give you both sides of the DEET debate, as well as alternative options. 

Has this helped you, EmpowHER?

Skin Products