I concluded I have PCOS and a like 5.5 (medium) cyst on my left

By April 28, 2016 - 11:45am

So like a week ago I wrote a question saying about my period is late. I went to doctor today and told me I have PCOS and a cyst on my left . (under the stomach). He took me a blood test today and I am worried, but he told me not to worry?

Hello. Sorry for the undetailed paragraph I wrote yesterday I was quite worried and tired. The cyst is on my left ovary which yes it's quite painful.I also am having depression aswell and gaining abit weight and but I already am very slim , and I am getting no periods and neither a sign. The doctor told me for the cyst to wait atleast 2 periods or if it's still there I should start birth control pills. They told me stress is the MAJOR part which I can make PCOS even worse. I'm only 19 years old , they told me it's quite common in women to have PCOS, but is it normal? Is there a way I can help it to tone down without being a major part in my life ? I am willing to do everything to help myself to try to tone PCOS down or to remove it but they told me that there is no cure for it . Thanks for the help.

HERWriter Guide (reply to LaLaDemiLavato)

Hello again!

Unfortunately weight gain is a common side effect of PCOS and depression can also follow. There is no cure for PCOS at this time.

The birth control pill can certainly help with your symptoms.

You can read an article we have about treatment and lifestyle options for women with PCOS here: http://www.empowher.com/polycystic-ovarian-syndrome/content/treatment-options-and-lifestyle-tips-pcos-sufferers

There is certainly a population of women with PCOS but this is YOUR issue for YOU so don't let doctors fob you off with the attitude that "lots of women have it" as if it's no big deal - it is. PCOS is not an easy thing to life with and anytime you have questions, your doctor needs to give you the time you need to get those answers. Don't be afraid to ask!

Hi lalaDemiLovato

Thanks for your question.

You said was on your left - your left what? Ovary?

Did your doctor explain what polycystic ovaries are? Firstly, many women get ovarian cysts - some every month! They generally go way on their own but some can be a little painful.

Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is a chronic endocrine disorder in women. Characteristics of PCOS are:

High levels of male hormones (androgens)
Insulin resistance
Hair growth on face and body
Anovulation—when the ovaries make few or no eggs
Ovaries make follicles that hold eggs. With PCOS, the ovaries make the follicles, but the eggs do not mature or leave the ovary.

The immature follicles can turn into fluid-filled sacs called cysts . Most women with PCOS have cysts. But women with ovarian cysts do not necessarily have PCOS.

You can read all about PCOS here:

I think your doctor is right to tell you not to worry - just wait for your test results and ask as many questions to your doctor then.

Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome

Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome Guide