I dont know what to do

By December 14, 2014 - 9:28pm

Hi, Its been awhile I don't feel good and I can't understand
What I should for it exactly. I found out that my issue is mostly because
Of acid reflux and my acid reflux problem has gone to far. Its been awhile
That I have a fullness feeling in my stomach and I have a lot of discomfort like this.
I want to know is there cure for such thing and what can be done about such mstter ?
Please let me know more about this soon.

Hi Melissa

Thank you for your question,  I know you have been dealing with this acid reflux for some time now. 

Since you are working with medical professionals about this on a regular basis, I encourage you to ask them these questions as they can help you far better. 

But there are treatments available, as I am sure you know. 

It may be confusing to know if you have heartburn, acid indigestion, or a more serious condition than gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). The esophagus is the “throat tube” that connects your mouth to your stomach. When the muscle at the end of your esophagus doesn’t close properly, allowing stomach contents to leak (reflux) into the esophagus, it can cause a burning sensation (heartburn), or you may taste stomach acid or bile in the back of your mouth (acid indigestion).

The key to knowing if you need to see a doctor is recognizing if you have symptoms more than twice a week, or to the extent that it interferes with daily life—this may indicate GERD. Some questions you may want to ask about GERD could include:

• Who gets GERD? Anyone can get the condition, from infants and children to adults. GERD often can develop in pregnancy. Other behaviors or conditions that could lead to GERD are smoking, obesity, asthma, diabetes, schleroderma, hiatal hernia, and Zollinger-Ellison syndrome.
  • As an adult, how can I lower my risk factors for having digestion problems like GERD? Many people can reduce their symptoms by making lifestyle changes and using over-the-counter medications. Other ways include:
    • avoid alcohol and spicy, fatty, or acidic foods known to trigger heartburn
    • eat small meals
    • do not eat before bedtime
    • lose weight (if over weight)
    • wear loose-fitting clothes
  • How is GERD diagnosed? Your doctor may perform some tests to see if you have GERD, such as endoscopy, x-ray, testing the movement of the esophagus, or conducting what’s called an ambulatory acid (pH) probe test.
  • How is GERD treated? Treatment depends on the age of the patient in addition to the severity of the case and considering what damage may have been done to the esophagus. Doctors may prescribe medication (over-the-counter or prescribed) such as antacids, acid reducers, proton pump inhibitors, or they may recommend surgery.
  • At what point should I consider surgery? If GERD does not respond to medications or changes in diet and nutrition, your doctor may suggest laparoscopic surgery. Types of surgery may include reinforcing the lower esophageal sphincter (Nissen fundoplication), surgery to create a barrier preventing stomach acid backup (EndoCinch endoluminal gastroplication), or a procedure to generate scar tissue in the esophagus (Stretta system).
  • How is stress and what I eat related to GERD? Stress does not cause GERD, although it can make GERD harder to control. What you eat can exacerbate GERD so it's important to monitor symptoms and what triggers them, then avoid those things. Discuss options with your doctor to improve wellness.
  • Is alternative therapy an option? Commonly used alternative therapies include herbal and relaxation treatments, and acupuncture. Side effects and ineffectiveness of conventional therapy would be a reason to consider alternative care. Alternative therapies have not shown to cure GERD, however it may reduce discomfort.
  • Will GERD increase my risk for developing esophageal cancer? If untreated, GERD could increase the risk for Barrett’s esophagus. Your doctor will recommend regular endoscopy to monitor and catch early warning signs of cancer developing, so it is important to work with your doctor on a wellness plan for sustaining health.
  • What other health risks should I be aware of related to GERD? GERD can also increase your chances of developing a narrowing of the esophagus caused by scar tissue from acid exposure. Stomach acid can also severely erode tissues on the esophagus that can cause an ulcer to develop. A bleeding ulcer could make swallowing difficult.

I hope this information helps you! 

Thank you for your reply. I am aware of many of these as your saying but my GI doctor doesn't give me direct solution. He talks to me about the issue in various ways then in the end he tells me there is no cure. It doesn't sound right to me and I'm feeling tired of this issue as well as trying to figure out what to do while I cannot manage this much longer.
There is something I'm wondering though. I do have hypothyroidism and I heard my issue with this is hashimoto's thyroiditis and I want to know since I have acid reflux/GERD issue once my hypothyroid issue is solved will it make acid reflux and GERD go away? Does hypothyroidism have anything related to acid reflux and GERD? I also do know that when I swallow food I get a really tight feeling when I swallow and I get really scared like this, what do you think I can do? For hypothyroidism I am seeing my endocrinologist this week.
Main thing I know is I have a constant fullness feeling in my stomach would this have anything to do with acid reflux? This fullness feeling is driving me crazy. I'm to to uncomfortable.

HERWriter Guide (reply to Melissa6666)

Hi Melissa,

As we are not doctors or specialists in this upper GI or thyroid conditions, we cannot advise you to the extent I think you are looking for. 

A feeling of fullness can certainly be linked to digestive issues. 

You need to ask your thyroid specialist next week if the acid reflex is connected to your thyroid in your case but in general, for some people, there is definitely a connection. Read more about that here:

Good luck next week and let us know how it goes. 

Thanks for your reply. I'm seeing my endocrinologist tomorrow so I will definitely mention this to her.
Thanks so much,