Q: 

I feel as if I am being strangled. Not choking, but strangled.

Beginning December, 2010, I have been to my primary care physician, a gastronologist, endocrinologist, ears, nose and throat doctor and a neurologist.

It was discovered I had polyps on the right side of my thyroid. I had an ultrasound and biopsy and they were not cancerous. However, the endocrinologist said the polyps should not be causing my strangling sensation. He referred me to a gastronologist. I had an endoscopic procedure performed and all was well. No acid reflex, GERD, tumor, etc. He referred me to an otolaryngologist. Through an additional ultrasound, it was discovered the nodules were growing. It was determined my thyroid should be removed and it was thought it would eliviate the strangling sensation. On June 22, 2011, I had half of my thyroid removed. During a follow up visit, I infomred the doctor I was still feeling like I am being strangled. He said there was some swelling and give it about a month (which I did). I then went back to him and he put me on Prilosec and sent me for a barium ?? procedure. All was normal. My new PCP examined me and took an x-ray of my nectk. He noticed something in the back of my neck that might possibly be causing the sensation in the front of my neck. He sent me for a neck MRI. He put me on Celebrex (to reduce inflammation - if any). I had the neck MRI and after review the PCP - sent me to a neurologist. I went to the neurologist earlier in the week. He said neurologically speaking, I was fine and he didn't feel the vertebras were causing my discomfort. I am at a lost as to where to go or what to do next. Some of my smyptoms are as follows: It originally felt like I as wearing a high turtle nectk sweater that was too tight or I had a scarf on and it was pulled too tight. I have difficulty swallowing saliva (golf ball in throat feeling), but have a lesser problem swallowing water or eating. At all times, it now feels like someone is strangling me - somethimes mild to extreme. I do not feel like I am choking. It has never felt like it is on the interior of my throat. It has always felt like it is on the exterior of my throat and the interior of my neck (if that makes any sense.) Some of my other symptoms are like Cricophanyngea Spasm, however two doctors say I do not have that. I had cosmetic surgery three and a half years ago (with no compliations) and went back to the plastic surgeon to inquire if he had ever seen this side effect before and could make a recommendation. No suggestion was made. Before this issue, I have been extremely healthy - with the exception of glaucoma. I have glaucoma in both eyes and have used drops for about ten years and have had surgery on my right eye. I am 59 years old, good health - no high blood pressure, heart disease, sugar diabetes, etc. I'm 5'7" / 150 lbs, non-smoker and an occasional cocktail. No medication except eye drops and minor vitamins (calcium, etc.) Should you have questions or require additional information, please contact me at [Personal Information removed for privacy]
Thank you for your possible assistance. I look forward to hearing from someone.

Anonymous

I am a 47 yr old female and I have these same symptoms and so far no one can figure it out. My TSH labs for thyroid go from being in the hyperthyroid realm back to barely in the normal range. About 20 years ago graves disease was thought to be the issue but my thyroid went back to normal ranges for over 9 years until this past January. The feeling of something being around my neck started approx December of 2016. January 2017 the pain started, my voice started get crackly sounding due to the mucous that I can't seem to swallow. It feels like the right side of my throat is not working right and swallowing is a chore. My larynx feels like I am being choked constantly or that I have something around my neck. My ears hurt off and on a lot as well. Went to PCP, Endo, and ENT. Thyroid US, thyroid labs, thyroid uptake, CT scan, Barium Swallow, and sinus xray and still no answer. I read about thyroid nodules affecting the nerves in throat but that it was rare and now I feel that doctors aren't even looking for this. Of course I never had the scans, uptakes, swallowing test or thyroid US before so what they are being compared to is a mystery to me. The pain/discomfort is constant. My job requires I talk most of the day which seems to make it ten times worse. I catch subconsciously reaching for my throat so I must be doing it all throughout the day. Tilting my head down makes my larynx feel like I am jamming it down my throat or that it is hitting the back of my throat. More often that usual I have things "going down the wrong pipe" I was never prone to headaches unless I had sinus infection but I get weird headaches now that seem to coincide with more throat pain. I wish to find an answer to what is going on!

Anonymous

I have had those exact symptoms....feels like you are being strangled... The pains only lasted a few seconds at a time, but I would get them about 10 times a day. Went thru all kinds of testing, including an EKG and a stress test, both on which were normal. About two weeks after the EKG and stress test, I had a heart attack. I was at work and the pains came on as they had been, but this time they didn't go away, but just got stronger and stronger. There was a blockage in one of my arteries, which is why the pains were in my neck, and tests could not see it unless I was having pains at the same time. I was in my 40's with no history of heart disease. Please don't ignore getting your heart checked out if you are having these pains

Anonymous

I get this feeling after I eat certain things. Milk is a big one. Can breath but it's really odd strangulating feeling. Nothing seems swollen. I've had tummy issues too and seems that FODMAP foods bring on this problem.

Anonymous

I have exactly the same symptomps you.I dont know when did you write down this thread and do you still have all of these but I'd like to be informed about your illness.Hope you'd see this and reply me.

I still have the symptoms. Some days are better than others. No doctor has found the cause of whatever it is.

Hi, I have this same constant strangle (not choking) sensation.
It started with a severe headache lasting 4 days then seemed to settle in the front of my neck. I also have upper back pain and chest fullness.
I can't tell where the problem originates. Neck, chest, gastro?
I've seen a MD who says GERD, but also ordered a neck CT scan. I've seen a cardio who ordered a stress test in a couple weeks. I see a gastroenterologist tomorrow.
This has been going on 6 weeks now with no change and it started overnight with nothing to initiate it that I can think of.
Not good.

I am having the exact problem you describe, started about 7 weeks ago. Tests booked no answers yet. What have you discovered?

(reply to Anonymous)

hi, been having this same problem for about 2 weeks now, was on and off, now constant. Had put it down to stress and now I am even more stressed dealing with it. I can sometimes forget it for a while ( if I am busy) and it tends to ease overnight but I don't feel stressed in other ways! Have not had great success at the docs with other odd aliments so have not yet been but getting so fed up with it i feel I have to. So glad to find this thread, anyone had any further results or any clues to the possible cause? I have not changed my diet or recently but I have had to take a lot of painkillers over a long period due to a frozen shoulder, and I have changed my HRT to Everol conti. Any one else had a similar senario?

Anonymous

I have the same problem. I haven't any any facial surgery. I'm having a cardio eccogram on Tuesday to see if it is related to a possible cardiac problem. An ultrasound showed the thyroid is ok. It's terrible when it hits at 2 am. I've been put on Valium to try and relax the muscles. It's getting progressively worse since a holiday in Europe earlier this year. My blood pressure has been playing up as well. One day it's so high I could fly the next it is so low I don't know how I'm still upright and breathing

Hi, can you say what your echo showed. I'm having one in a week for the same symptoms.
Thanks!

Tags: