I find the term 'grossly normal' in my medical records. What does this mean?

By Anonymous December 9, 2014 - 10:45pm

It does not sound very 'friendly', although I suspect that it is not meant to be negative .It is listed under neurological and psychiatric category. I'd like to know
What it means, and why this term is used. Thank you.

Grossly means largely, grossly normal = largely normal. So if you just translate gross, it sounds much more humane :)

The same comment was applied to my MRI after a stroke. You can imagine how that made me feel!!!
Thanks for the question AND all the answers.

Thank you .Your answer to my question about grossly normal is the best one given so far. I have been greatly worried as the CT Scan of my abdominal region stated that my spleen , adrenal. and pancreas are "grossly normal". I am happy that I now have nothing to worry about especially since I have been diabetic for a while.

Thanks. Makes a lot of sense,now.

Grossly normal means that the larger picture is normal. In medical terminology there is fine and gross. Gross is the larger picture which fine tends to be smaller . It has nothing to do with the term as we know it 'gross'

Actually the definition of gross in the dictionary is overall, total. So when you get a response that something is grossly normal rejoice. It is all good. Hope this helps.

Thanks for your question - it's a great one! 

I don't really know why it's used either. It pretty much means "normal".  

Grossly normal means "overall, everything seems normal".  It's a general overview of your neurological and psychiatric state. 

Medical terms can be odd. When I had two of my kids at age 35 and 36, the medical terminology stated that I was an "elderly" patient since I was over 35! 

Yikes !! Seems like the medical personnel doesn't apply any humanity when it comes to their 'chosen descriptions'. thanks for your answer.