I had a 30 second round of bleeding during my "ovulation week"...

By January 11, 2011 - 12:07pm

We have been trying to get pregnant for almost two years with 1 miscarriage about a year into trying. I have PCOS and this makes my periods very irregular without meds. We decided to stop taking fertility drugs about 2 months ago because my doctor said she could not give me anymore and our insurance does not cover a specialist. This month, I actually had a "normal" period and by my doctors calculations, I was in the "ovulation week" of my cycle. About 2 days into ovulation week, I went to the bathroom and urinated. When I wiped, there was bright red blood on the TP. I was concerned, so I put in a tampon and checked again about 2 minutes later and it had stopped completely and there was BARELY ANY blood on the tampon at all. Does ANYONE know what could have caused this???

The bleeding was absolutely vaginal... Thanks for your advice AND encouragement!!!

Hi ADowdy

Thanks for your question and for finding EmpowHER!

There could be any number of reasons for what happened and you may never find the answer.

The fact that it was bright red indicates that it was fresh blood. Is there any way you could have injured yourself?

Are you sure it came from your actual vagina (inside your body)? Do you think it could have come from the outside of your body or your rectal area? If it's none of this, then let's look at mid-cycle bleeding, because it does happen.

Mid-cycle bleeding is not altogether uncommon in women and is often caused by a sudden drop in estrogen at ovulation time. After a woman's period, her estrogen levels rise, as the body prepares for ovulation. Then right before ovulation, estrogen decreases (although it remains higher than right after a woman's period) and this drop can cause bleeding. The same can happen after ovulation with no fertilization. Bleeding is usually very brief.

If you remain a bit worried or bleeding is ever prolonged, ask your doctor to look into things further.

I hope this information helps you and best of luck trying to conceive!