I had a bad experience with bioidentical hormones. What information can you give me on this topic?

By Anonymous December 2, 2008 - 9:03am

I ended up in the hospital with severe panic attacks and delusional thoughts after being given too little estrogen and way too much progesterone by an N. D. here in the valley. I have had a full hysterectomy and was told by three other doctors that I never should have been given the progesterone. This episode caused a chain reaction in which I was then put on too high of a dose of Lexapro and many other anti-anxiety drugs for the next two years. All of the side effects made me feel horribly worse and I ended up being weened off of everything except some Adivan. I feel better now, but still not right.

I need some help with my hormones, but don't know who to get it from or who to trust. Any info that you have would be helpful.

Thanks, Debbie O'Donnell

AsLaw

Hello. I am currently experiencing all of the symptoms mentioned in your posts from last year. I am 35 and was prescribed bioidentical progesterone cream because I tested low. I took progesterone cream for 14 days and then stopped when I started having panic attacks out of nowhere, crying spells, intrusive thoughts, inability to concentrate, difficulty sleeping, etc... I have been off for about 9 days and still feel the effects. I will have one good day, and feel like I am getting better, then the following day I am panicked all day. This of course, leaves me feeling completely hopeless. I am not sure what to do, I keep praying that it gets better. If anyone could share their experiences in terms of how long it took to get better or any tips for detoxing, I would greatly appreciate it.

Anonymous (reply to AsLaw)

I'll be completely honest. It has been a long hard road. Im going on 2 years after using that poison and Im still not healed. I experience all of the above bad reactions daily still. It is a very long slow detox and only used the cream for a month. I pray it eventually fully goes away and I can be back to normal. Be strong & fight. Get a suppose system and eat healthy with lots of water. Prayers coming your way! Also know that you arent alone.

Anonymous (reply to AsLaw)

I understand perfectly and all I can say, just have patience. It took a couple of months for me. I drank a lot of water. I was traveling out of the country and was concerned about having these anxiety attacks while I was gone. I went to the doctor and he put me on Effexor (an SSRI) which is suppose to help with anxiety. DON't do that. It created problems in itself. I was on for a short period of time and even though I tried to get off the Effexor gradually as he suggested, I then had withdrawal symptoms with that. I just did it on my own. Breathe deeply and drink water. It will eventually go away.

tlkat

I am so glad I found this forum. Everyone raves about Bio hormones, but I found they made my symptoms much worse. It was a horrible and expensive experience for me. The doctor kept telling me to tough it out, but she was not in my body. Now just hoping I can find something that will help with my hot flashes and night sweats. They are back stronger than ever.

Anonymous

Anyone have slight bleeding after getting off progesterone? I went off in May and had the bleeding in July. The doctor said he was not surprised. However, I had a very slight bleeding at the end of September and then the end of October. The doctor says this is worrisome but can't find anything. I am thinking it is the progesterone. Had some cramping in September but took some Chinese herbs and did an acupuncture session and it seemed to alleviate it. My pap smear has come back unsatisfactory, meaning there is something interfering with a reading of it one way or the other.

Disillusioned

I was wondering if anyone of you ladies out there have experienced bad leg (and sometimes arm) pain. Been on 1ml Biest (20% Estradiol and 80% Estriol) as well as 1 100mg Progesterone capsules at night. The pain in my thighs started about 1-2 months in and has gotten progressively worse. My calf and thighs muscles are painful now. It is really only on exertion, but my arms can pain on and off for no reason . Dr's seem puzzled and yet I see muscle cramps being mentioned on the net as a possible side effect of hormone replacement .... Mine just seems worse. I have been on the treatment for about 9 months. I had quite severe menopausal symptoms so I am not keen on weaning myself off of the BHRT, but I cannot live with this pain any longer. Thanks and good luck to all you ladies on this hormone roller-coaster!

Anonymous (reply to Disillusioned)

Dear Disillusioned!

The description of what you are going through describes me to a T! My legs are especially painful (also 90% on walking) and my arms also out of the blue will have this weird cramping going on (especially my upper arms). It started after about 2 months on Biest and when I changed to another combination cream... (with even stronger estrogens), the exact same feeling. For some reason some days are slightly better but it is extremely annoying and I find myself not being able to do a lot of what I did before. I don't even want to exercise. The Dr's do seem stunned, but I know it's the estrogen in the cream because it starts exactly 1 to 2 hours after I apply the cream....

I just wanted to say I feel for you and you are definitely not alone. I am really starting to wonder if I was better off without the hormones. So much time and money wasted.

Good luck and I would love to hear how you are doing now!

Warm regards
Finette (South Africa)

Anonymous

My problem wasn't with progesterone like I think most of your's was but with testosterone. My testosterone was twice as high as a man's should be. It made me terribly ill and the same happened to a friend of mine. Actually, I have been n this thread for a long time. In fac I started one similar one but perhaps my problem has nothing to do with hormones. My organs were failing, all of them. Prayers from every church in our town I credit for my recovery because I truly don't know what was wrong with me. I was at mayo for a month and they treated all my symptoms but didn't know why. I no longer have any of these things but for six months I was incontinent, diabetic, had NASH, extremely low thyroid, high iron, high copper. Not just a little high but very high. I had/have a kidney tumor and colon polyps. I am fine now with none of those problems except the kidney tumor but it s very small and not growing. This all happened after starting the bio- identical hormones but I'm thinking it was something besides the hormone now because my symptoms were so different than any of yours. I had no panic attack problems. I just couldn't sit up. Couldn't eat, sleep was not good and was so sick I couldn't speak. I know. Should just thank God I'm fine now and move n and do thank God but I still have to wonder what was wrong. Guess I will never know.

Anonymous

I went on these natural hormones almost 1 year ago. I had a hysterectomy when I was 34 and had my ovaries removed when I had Colon cancer and they removed part of my Colon. That was 4 years ago. I am 57. My doctor told me I had very low hormone levels when I had the blood work done. My question is, can I get along with not taking any hormones? I have a severe sleep problem, but the hormones have not fixed that. I was thinking the hormones were going to be my shining light, but I'm not sure they have helped at all. Anyone else with the same question?

I'm beginning to think the problem isnt with the hormones but with the doctors. I have friends that have been n these for years and swear by them. However, their doctors check their hormone before each pellet is inserted. My doctor did not. They just kept giving me more testosterone which really played havoc with my body.

Menopause

Menopause Guide