ask: I had a bad experience with bioidentical hormones. What information can you give me on this topic?

I ended up in the hospital with severe panic attacks and delusional thoughts after being given too little estrogen and way too much progesterone by an N. D. here in the valley. I have had a full hysterectomy and was told by three other doctors that I never should have been given the progesterone. This episode caused a chain reaction in which I was then put on too high of a dose of Lexapro and many other anti-anxiety drugs for the next two years. All of the side effects made me feel horribly worse and I ended up being weened off of everything except some Adivan. I feel better now, but still not right.

I need some help with my hormones, but don't know who to get it from or who to trust. Any info that you have would be helpful.

Thanks, Debbie O'Donnell

Anonymous

I keep wondering how long it takes to stop the symptoms! It has been 3 weeks now since I have been off (on for 14 months). I still get the anxiety and can feel it coming on. Sometimes I am ok. I have been taking magnesium citrate 3 times a day at the suggestion of a Hungarian doctor friend of mine. It helps to calm. I also am taking B complex. I think that getting enough sleep makes a difference, too, exercise and lots of water. I spoke to a friend of mine who has no thyroid and is on hormones for that. She goes to an endocrinologist for them. He won't have anything to do with bio identical hormones! I think too many health practitioners are getting on the band wagon and they don't know what they are doing. If makes sense to go to an endocrinologist who knows about hormones. I didn't think of that when I tried them.

Anonymous

I had a thyroid test done in January and it appears ok. From what I am reading, it sounds like I am going through a "withdrawal" even though I was told that I could go off the progesterone cold turkey with no withdrawal. . I am taking Serenagen for the adrenals. I still am having stress in my life, so I guess that doesn't help. I am doing vipassana meditation which is amazingly helpful. I am back to being able to do it at a half hour at a time. I couldn't for a couple of days because I couldn't sit still for that long without feeling a panic attack coming on. I also find regular aerobic exercise helpful and when I have that tingling and panic feeling, I do 5 minutes of arm swings. I also started drinking a lot more water as someone had suggested. When I am not in panic mode, I feel pretty good and can do things.

I think your thyroid has to really be nonfunctional before it shows up on those tests. Mine didn't show up for a long time. A little test you can do to see if it's slow is put a thermometer on your nightstand and when you wake in the morning, take your temp, before you get up or even raise up. If your temp is 97 or below, it's probably low functioning. I had a wholistic doctor tell me to do this. I think it was 97 and below. I'm on synthroid and my temperature is still always below normal.

AngieW (reply to Anonymous)

Hello! Sorry your going through this.... I had my throid checked multiple times due to the symptoms, and they always came back normal. Reaching out to other women and reading their experiences is what first opened my eyes to the negative effects of progesterone. It will get better! Give yourself some time

Anonymous

I am getting off bioidentical progesterone which was prescribed for anxiety about 14 months ago. But I think it is making it worse as I was feeling all the time like I was going to have a panic attack. It was a heaviness in my chest. I went off it completely on 5/12/15 and am having trouble sleeping. I get tingling in my hands and sometimes feet. I can be fine one minute and then feel like I am in a state of panic. I am taking a supplement to help the Adrenals as I was under a lot of stress when I started taking them last year. My bp was up and I had NEVER had a problem with that. I just don't feel right.

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Thanks for your post and I'm sorry you're dealing with so much.

You mention your adrenal glands - have you heard of adrenal fatigue? 

Read more here: 

http://www.empowher.com/community/share/adrenal-fatigue

I also think it's a good idea to have your thyroid checked. 

Please stay in touch with us-

AngieW

Hello! I'm so glad to find a forum that doesn't make me feel I'm crazy! I myself have been struggling with health issues brought on by bio identical progesterone. My story begins two years ago after the birth of my fourth daughter. I began experiencing postpartum anxiety, which I have never had a "mental" issue before in my life. The doctor tried Zoloft which I had given six weeks to work with no improvement. So I decided to try progesterone which was to be taken days 16-28 of cycle 100mg twice daily. I thought I had found my miracle drug at first. I was sleeping, anxiety completely gone and I could handle stress! We'll it worked great for the first 4 months. I then started noticing a trend that slowly got worse each month. When I would take the torches on days 16-28 I felt great and calm. Then until the next two weeks until I would start the torches again I was plagued with anxiety, depression, weight loss. Increased heart rate sometimes mania and nervousness. I spent so much time trying to figure out what was wrong with me during those two weeks. I swore it was my thyroid or I was bipolar. I never thought it could be due to the progesterone cause I felt great on it! That was until recently in October I was taking the progesterone my breast were swollen and hard which I never have experienced and cold/allergy symptoms until my period came. After my period the worst depression I have ever experienced hit me. I could not function I have taken FMLA leave which I am currently still on. I am getting better slowly. I can go in public now and am sleeping again. Still having some issues with feeling stressed. In the last 6weeks I have experienced some major withdrawl symptoms that closely equal that of a benzo withdrawl. I had taken my complaints to both the Physician Assistant and compounding pharmacist, with which one said it must be my serotonin levels and the other mentioned bi polar. I'm sorry if this is lengthy but it half covers what my past two years have been like. I know I have a long ways to go in recovery. I found a new doctor and went to the OB finally whom both asked "why have you been taken these?" Benzo buddies has lots of women whom say that progesterone has withdrawal symptoms similar to benzo withdrawl and askapatient.com has lots of horrific experiences with the use of progesterone. Best wishes ladies

Anonymous

FDA really needs to BAN bio identical hormones. Creams and everything very dangerous. Watch and see how many cases start to appear from malpractice of hormones. I would love to sue the Dr that prescribed me bio identical hormones which ultimately put me in the hospital and has forced me to spend thousands on my recovery not to mention how it has diminished my life for the last couple of years. I hope many women come here to see the truth. It is the only true thread on the subject that I have found in 2 years. I am a survivor if u want me to answer questions so that u don't feel alone.

Can you help me I took this crap 9 months ago for 4 weeks a cream which I was using not knowing it stays in your system. And still feel awful like benzo withdrawls are describe. Thanks lisa

It took me 2-3 months to get over similar symptoms. I had to use Xanax daily. It finally went away (too much progesterone) and then I discontinued the Xanax. The doc who gave me the hormones had no answers except to give Xanax for the panic it caused. She would not return my calls to answer my questions. Questions like why is my heart rate so high now that my trainer will not allow me to work out at all until it resolves?

Menopause

Menopause Guide

Do you have hot flashes due to menopause? :