Q: 

I had a bad experience with bioidentical hormones. What information can you give me on this topic?

By Anonymous December 2, 2008 - 9:03am

I ended up in the hospital with severe panic attacks and delusional thoughts after being given too little estrogen and way too much progesterone by an N. D. here in the valley. I have had a full hysterectomy and was told by three other doctors that I never should have been given the progesterone. This episode caused a chain reaction in which I was then put on too high of a dose of Lexapro and many other anti-anxiety drugs for the next two years. All of the side effects made me feel horribly worse and I ended up being weened off of everything except some Adivan. I feel better now, but still not right.

I need some help with my hormones, but don't know who to get it from or who to trust. Any info that you have would be helpful.

Thanks, Debbie O'Donnell

Anonymous

I had the BHRT pellets implanted one month ago and have developed a severe allergic reaction to something in the pellet. When I say severe I mean I am covered in red blotchy spots all over my body. I itch all over and can't sleep. Went to a doc in the box and they gave me a steriod shot and that only made it worse so I have been popping Benedryl like candy and that only helps for a couple of hours. The people at the office where I had the procedure aren't acting all that concerned and told me that I would just have to ride it out for another month and 1/2 when the pellet wears off. I am desperate for relief. It's very frustrating and it's only getting worse. I don't know what to do. Any advice would be helpful.

Anonymous

I started on bioidentical hormones 4 years ago and have never felt normal. I take 100mg progesterone 2 weeks off and 2 weeks on and I use Estrogel 28 days out of the month. I am beginning to think it's the bioidentical hormones that have me in a heightened anxiety state and not able to handle life as I once could. I consider myself a strong individual and yet, these past 4 years (I am 54), I have struggle with mental health more than ever.

Anonymous

Not sure what to think. Found this site because I've just begun BHRT--one week ago--and the first night I was hit with major anxiety, nausea, brain jitters, chest pressure and insomnia (complete). .5 E2, 1 E3, 100 mg prog, 3 T. My practitioner recommended I cut to half dose. I cut to a quarter dose and took it earlier in the evening. Still some reaction, but not so much. Then on the sixth night, another big, bad reaction like the first night. My practitioner is stumped. Says this reaction is unusual. I've had some positive effects--good sleep on the nights I haven't had a terrible reaction, my mouth feels less dry, my brain feels a little more normal. But these side effects feel dangerous. I've talked to the compounding pharmacy and my practitioner and they're both suggesting I try separating the T from the rest and see if that's causing the reaction. I'm reluctant to go back at all, but there's a reason I wanted to try it in the first place. It's been an expensive experiment. Would love to hear from anyone who's had a similar experience and actually solved it!

Hello,
Did you ever find out the answer to your concerns? I am dealing with the exact thing now and would love to hear what you found out.

She is stumped because she is not educated correctly just like so many other practitioners out there. This practice one day will be illegal. Did she test you before she dosed you. I am still recovering after 4 years...it's been a literal nightmare. Get off ASAP...but not cold turkey like me. Do it slowly. That sounds like a high dose to me...hormones move very slowly out of the body. I am sorry. bITH is the worst decision a woman could ever be recommended or prescribed.

Yes, I was tested. My practitioner has a good reputation, and has helped me in some other ways (nutritionally), so my inclination is to assume good intentions. I have friends who have been helped tremendously by bioidenticals, so I'm reluctant to believe they are terrible for everyone. Similarly, though, I think they are terrible for some, and I may be one of those people. My practitioner is stumped because these doses are relatively low, and she hasn't seen negative responses from other patients *at these levels*. She has, however, seen negative responses similar to mine with the use of testosterone at higher levels, so she has honed in on that as my possible culprit. I spoke with a couple of other practitioners who say the same thing. I'm still deciding whether I'll try estrogen and progesterone and lower levels of testosterone separately, or whether I'll try and solve some of my symptoms other ways. I'm curious whether anyone here has had any positive experiences with bioidenticals, or whether this is just the wrong thread for questions about good experiences with these hormones.

I had a nightmare experience with brt that my dr said she had never seen. She prescribed some DIM which gave me headaches then herbal supplements to calm anxiety which was mild when i started. After 8-10 wks on progesterone pills and estrogen cream, the anxiety was so severe that i constantly felt like a caged animal yet when i tried to stand and walk i felt like i was going to fall. I had extraordinary irritability and zero patience because i just felt so terrified of the restlessness and muscle tension taking me over. The dr tried to tweak them but it got worse and worse. Needed to take xanax to counteract so i could work while tapering off. Six days after getting off, anxiety was reduced by 75%. Though i know some women who have no negative effects, it wasn't for me! I needed therapy after that experience lol!

When did the intrusive thoughts stop and adrenaline rushes and heart palpitations? 2 years and 4 months for me so far

Anonymous

I think I also had a bag experience with hormone creams as well. I'm 52 and in menopause. I have not had a full period in 3 years. I bought O-T-C estogen and progestrone creams (suppose to be from wild yams) through amazon. Four week into apply the estogen and progrestone. I had a panic attack and serious rapid heart beat especially when I laid down. I went to urgent care and they identified a slight heart murmur (may have had it all the time) EKG came back perfect, but just to be cautious they suggested I see a cardiologist.

So I will schedule, but I started thinking back what had I changed in the last four weeks and the only thing I did was get on these hormones. Prior to taking the hormones, I was dealing with hot flashes and night sweats, but no heart palpitation at all. Now I'm seeing all these comments from women who have started on bio-identical creams or some form of hormones and it creating more problems with heart palpitations, etc. I think I'm done messing with my hormones.

I'm going to get back on Evening Primose Oil and Black Cohosh and call it a day. I think messing with your hormones by applying unnatural forms of it that your body does not produce itself is bad business. It's too complication and hormones regulate too many things to just be trying this stuff out without a lot of thorough in-depth knowledge (you gain on your own) because every single woman is different and some women are more sensitive to hormones than others. So I'm done.

I had same reaction exactly to the estriol cream . Very frustrating, because I am struggling with hot flashes frequently

Menopause

Menopause Guide