ask: I had a bad experience with bioidentical hormones. What information can you give me on this topic?

I ended up in the hospital with severe panic attacks and delusional thoughts after being given too little estrogen and way too much progesterone by an N. D. here in the valley. I have had a full hysterectomy and was told by three other doctors that I never should have been given the progesterone. This episode caused a chain reaction in which I was then put on too high of a dose of Lexapro and many other anti-anxiety drugs for the next two years. All of the side effects made me feel horribly worse and I ended up being weened off of everything except some Adivan. I feel better now, but still not right.

I need some help with my hormones, but don't know who to get it from or who to trust. Any info that you have would be helpful.

Thanks, Debbie O'Donnell

Anonymous

I am getting off bioidentical progesterone which was prescribed for anxiety about 14 months ago. But I think it is making it worse as I was feeling all the time like I was going to have a panic attack. It was a heaviness in my chest. I went off it completely on 5/12/15 and am having trouble sleeping. I get tingling in my hands and sometimes feet. I can be fine one minute and then feel like I am in a state of panic. I am taking a supplement to help the Adrenals as I was under a lot of stress when I started taking them last year. My bp was up and I had NEVER had a problem with that. I just don't feel right.

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Thanks for your post and I'm sorry you're dealing with so much.

You mention your adrenal glands - have you heard of adrenal fatigue? 

Read more here: 

http://www.empowher.com/community/share/adrenal-fatigue

I also think it's a good idea to have your thyroid checked. 

Please stay in touch with us-

AngieW

Hello! I'm so glad to find a forum that doesn't make me feel I'm crazy! I myself have been struggling with health issues brought on by bio identical progesterone. My story begins two years ago after the birth of my fourth daughter. I began experiencing postpartum anxiety, which I have never had a "mental" issue before in my life. The doctor tried Zoloft which I had given six weeks to work with no improvement. So I decided to try progesterone which was to be taken days 16-28 of cycle 100mg twice daily. I thought I had found my miracle drug at first. I was sleeping, anxiety completely gone and I could handle stress! We'll it worked great for the first 4 months. I then started noticing a trend that slowly got worse each month. When I would take the torches on days 16-28 I felt great and calm. Then until the next two weeks until I would start the torches again I was plagued with anxiety, depression, weight loss. Increased heart rate sometimes mania and nervousness. I spent so much time trying to figure out what was wrong with me during those two weeks. I swore it was my thyroid or I was bipolar. I never thought it could be due to the progesterone cause I felt great on it! That was until recently in October I was taking the progesterone my breast were swollen and hard which I never have experienced and cold/allergy symptoms until my period came. After my period the worst depression I have ever experienced hit me. I could not function I have taken FMLA leave which I am currently still on. I am getting better slowly. I can go in public now and am sleeping again. Still having some issues with feeling stressed. In the last 6weeks I have experienced some major withdrawl symptoms that closely equal that of a benzo withdrawl. I had taken my complaints to both the Physician Assistant and compounding pharmacist, with which one said it must be my serotonin levels and the other mentioned bi polar. I'm sorry if this is lengthy but it half covers what my past two years have been like. I know I have a long ways to go in recovery. I found a new doctor and went to the OB finally whom both asked "why have you been taken these?" Benzo buddies has lots of women whom say that progesterone has withdrawal symptoms similar to benzo withdrawl and askapatient.com has lots of horrific experiences with the use of progesterone. Best wishes ladies

Anonymous

FDA really needs to BAN bio identical hormones. Creams and everything very dangerous. Watch and see how many cases start to appear from malpractice of hormones. I would love to sue the Dr that prescribed me bio identical hormones which ultimately put me in the hospital and has forced me to spend thousands on my recovery not to mention how it has diminished my life for the last couple of years. I hope many women come here to see the truth. It is the only true thread on the subject that I have found in 2 years. I am a survivor if u want me to answer questions so that u don't feel alone.

Can you help me I took this crap 9 months ago for 4 weeks a cream which I was using not knowing it stays in your system. And still feel awful like benzo withdrawls are describe. Thanks lisa

Hi Lisa! I'm sorry you too are going through this. It does get better! I am around 6 months post troche use and I feel every month I have improvement. I am 90% back to my old self again, and I know I will continue to heal. Hang in there you will recover. It is very similar to benzo withdrawl. Who would have thought?!? Something I thought as "natural" and safe could wreck such havoc. With time I believe information on progrsterones bad effects will surface. This is a new craze right now just like the estrogen phase in the 90's. The best advice I can give you is be patient with yourself and take it day by day! best wishes☺️ If you have any more questions about my experience you can ask away!

Demogirl66 (reply to Anonymous)

Hi....how long were you on BHRT? My RNP severely overdosed me which caused MASSIVE panic attacks, screaming high blood pressure, heart rates in the 150's......her answer was to up my progesterone! I had taken BHRT estrogen (very low dose - hysterectomy 22 years ago at age of 26) for the past 5 years and did fine.....but we moved so decided to get a blood work up done and she gave me SIX TIMES the amount of estrogen, plus testosterone plus 150 mg of progesterone. I thought I was going to die......I ended up on xanax and blood pressure medicine to control everything. When the last pa ic attack hit and took 3 hours for me to get heart rate and BP down I said, "That's it!!!!" I quit cold turkey and it got worse.....omg. I have literally been in bed for weeks....unable to eat or move, a trip to the ER finally (they were no help) but due to adrenaline surges thought I might have cyst on my adrenal gland.....had to see endocrinologist, spent 2 1/2 hours on his bathroom floor with panic attack.....no cyst (of course), but a Rx for a beta blocker to keep adrenaline/anxiety from driving heart rate and BP. It makes me feel awful and I still have a xanax withdrawal to look forward to.....omg, I miss my life!!!!! I would LOVE to hear recovery stories from anyone!!!!! Someone please give me a light at the end of the tunnel and tell me this doesn't last forever.........just this week I am getting nutrition from organic baby food (Boost weight gaining shakes have stimulants as I unfortunately discovered).........anyone? Anyone???

Anonymous (reply to Demogirl66)

Hi I put progestrone cream on my stomach for 3 weeks ! 40 mg to 300mg a day. They told me to keep adding more when I was having bad reactions from it. I finally stopped it and took Xanax for a week and a half for massive panic attacks. It's been 11 months off and still feel awful. I guess what withdrawls feel like. Idk. Massive anxiety and lance gloom and doom intrusive thoughts etc. very scary. I never had anxiety before or anything close. I was easy going and always upbeat! This has been a nightmare. And everyday pray for relief. I guess it can take a very long time to get out of your skin! Once it's gone I guess the real withdrawls start. Who knew this stuff wasn't wonderful and safe with no side effects. I have read from many women it's goes away eventually. Praying for that day. You are not alone. Stay strong. Day by day!

Anonymous (reply to Demogirl66)

Hello! I am so sorry for what you are going through! It DOES get better, I am here to tell you that

Ok. So that last short message was actually a small part of a long response.... So I'm going to try this again! It will get better. I was on 200mg for almost two years. I am 7 months out from stopping cold turkey. At first I thought..... This is it, I've lost my mind and off to the phych ward (not kidding at all). The anxiety, depression, insomnia, nightmares, high heart rate, feeling disconnected from realities almost more than I could handle. If I didn't do my research and find similar experiences as mine, I would be dosed up on all kinds of psych meds. Please be patient with yourself, take it day by day, it will get better! I can't stress that enough! Your brain and body are able to fully heal itself if given time. I had to take a leave of absence from work, and now I am back to work full time and enjoying my 4 girls to the fullest again. Please ask away, if you need! Heck you can phone me if you want! Thinking of you. Best wishes

Menopause

Menopause Guide

Do you have hot flashes due to menopause? :