I had a bad experience with bioidentical hormones. What information can you give me on this topic?

By Anonymous December 2, 2008 - 9:03am

I ended up in the hospital with severe panic attacks and delusional thoughts after being given too little estrogen and way too much progesterone by an N. D. here in the valley. I have had a full hysterectomy and was told by three other doctors that I never should have been given the progesterone. This episode caused a chain reaction in which I was then put on too high of a dose of Lexapro and many other anti-anxiety drugs for the next two years. All of the side effects made me feel horribly worse and I ended up being weened off of everything except some Adivan. I feel better now, but still not right.

I need some help with my hormones, but don't know who to get it from or who to trust. Any info that you have would be helpful.

Thanks, Debbie O'Donnell

Glad I've found this post!! Hope someone is still active on here I am desperate!! My nightmare began in March 2015 when I was given provera tablets to control my period! I have always been sensitive to hormonal contraception and wish I had known better!! Provera is a progesterone only pill, after a few months experienced extreme anxiety like never before.. I couldn't really see what was causing it so I tried an antidepressant! What a nightmare, made me really sick only on it for 5 pills! Was told to come off provera and antidepressant Which was on Sep 02 2015. What a ride it's been! Intrusive thoughts that I've never had before consumed my head, dizziness, insomnia, anxiety, brain fog, fatigue.. To this day I don't know if it was coming off the provera or the ad. Anyway was a very slow process getting better and a long road. Got to March 2016 and was feeling better and better all the time, I had heard wonders about progesterone cream and thought I would try it!! What a mistake! Worked well for 4 weeks then just randomly had a terrible week of sadness and crying but so extreme felt so bad.. Came off the cream cause couldn't cope. Was okay for two weeks but pretty dizzy and not as good as I was before the cream. Then all went down hill again, just before my period have become exteremely emotional like really bad, anxiety is high, bad thoughts just so tired!! Guessing must be a big progesterone crash? Feels similar to when came off provera! Am soooo gutted! Really don't want to have to go on antidepressant as so scared what will do to me! Def feeling crazy!!

Anonymous (reply to PipK810)

Hello. I hate that you are going through this, but I am so thankful to find someone else with the same issues. I went on bio identical hormones in March 2016 too. Within 6 days my estrogen more than double, my testosterone did the same and my progesterone raised .01. It was the worst experience I have ever had. If there is one thing in my life I could go back and undo that would be my choice. I was having server anxiety and some panic attacks, and very disturbing thoughts. The nurse practitioner I was using told me to stay on them. I freaked out and made her see me. I quit them, but I am still having problems. I have had 2 periods a month, one lasting 17 days, lost 18 lbs in 2 weeks, then all the anxitey and disturbing thoughts come back 2 weeks before my period. In June I had surgery to remove endometriosis, endo scaring, cydt, and a d&c. My gyno thought this would all helo, but it flared everything up. Now their only suggestion is anxiety meds. As they are pretty sure this has all thrown me into menopause or premenpause. From my research that all lowers your serstonin levels, and I wonder if all the hormone issues have robbed us from serotonin. My dr wanted me to try a natural approach 1st, so I am trying tryptophan right now. Praying that something is the answer and soon!

(reply to Anonymous)

Hi X I am so sorry you are going through this. It is definitely scary and draining. I am so glad you came off the cream. I have endometriosis too xx I know all about the different flare ups and ups and downs of this journey. How are you feeling now? Xx

Anonymous (reply to PipK810)

Things have not settled down. As of yesterday my dr of 11 years has decided that a complete hysterectomy is the only way to fix all this. He ran some blood test to rule out thyroid problems and said if those test come back negative we will schedule the hysterectomy. At this point I just have to trust him. He was not the one who put me on hormones.

Anonymous (reply to PipK810)

You are not crazy. It just feels like it. Yes coming off progestrone cream is a true nightmare. I used it for 3 weeks and have been detoxing and experiencing all your same symptoms for 2 years. I have never tried antidepressants. Just working through each day. Progestrone cream should not be legal. It's so dangerous. Im so sorry you were healing and now you are dealing with this major setback. Hopefully you'll heal quick like some women do! For me im not healed yet and it's been a haRd long road but Im making it. Prayers coming your way. Just know you are not alone!

(reply to Anonymous)

Thank you for your reply! I am so sorry you have had such a hard time! Have you been to a psycologist for support or anything? Xxx
I'm so scared now because when I recover I would like to have a baby! What are all of your experiences with the progesterone rising and then crashing when having a baby? If you've had children xx

Hello. I am currently experiencing all of the symptoms mentioned in your posts from last year. I am 35 and was prescribed bioidentical progesterone cream because I tested low. I took progesterone cream for 14 days and then stopped when I started having panic attacks out of nowhere, crying spells, intrusive thoughts, inability to concentrate, difficulty sleeping, etc... I have been off for about 9 days and still feel the effects. I will have one good day, and feel like I am getting better, then the following day I am panicked all day. This of course, leaves me feeling completely hopeless. I am not sure what to do, I keep praying that it gets better. If anyone could share their experiences in terms of how long it took to get better or any tips for detoxing, I would greatly appreciate it.

(reply to AsLaw)

Hi ASLaw I am having the complete same as you! I was on progesterone cream for about 4 weeks and felt good then it all came crashing down, emotional like never before! I decided I couldn't carry on with the cream and stopped. After a few days I wasn't crying as much but was really dizzy.. Two weeks later just before my period and as I have got my period I am an emotional wreck worst I have ever felt with bad intrusive thoughts! Please tell me it gets better!!!! X

(reply to PipK810)

Hello PipK810,
I am so sorry to hear that you are going through this as it has been hell for me and I do not wish this on anyone. I am 1.5 months out since stopping progesterone cream and unfortunately, I am still having symptoms of high anxiety, heart racing, deep depression, intrusive thoughts (which only increase the anxiety and depression), emotional teary outburts. I find that it is much worse around certain times of my cycle. I have been to 3 additional doctors since this ordeal and all have confirmed that I should have never taken the progesterone, but now I have to give my body time to readjust.... My OBGYN told me this morning to give it six months to fully feel better. I wish I had a time machine! You are not alone. We will get through this. Feel free to find me on facebook. I am Amy Lynn from Sugar Land Texas.

Anonymous (reply to AsLaw)

I'll be completely honest. It has been a long hard road. Im going on 2 years after using that poison and Im still not healed. I experience all of the above bad reactions daily still. It is a very long slow detox and only used the cream for a month. I pray it eventually fully goes away and I can be back to normal. Be strong & fight. Get a suppose system and eat healthy with lots of water. Prayers coming your way! Also know that you arent alone.

Menopause

Menopause Guide