Menopause

Menopause Guide

ask: I had a bad experience with bioidentical hormones. What information can you give me on this topic?

I ended up in the hospital with severe panic attacks and delusional thoughts after being given too little estrogen and way too much progesterone by an N. D. here in the valley. I have had a full hysterectomy and was told by three other doctors that I never should have been given the progesterone. This episode caused a chain reaction in which I was then put on too high of a dose of Lexapro and many other anti-anxiety drugs for the next two years. All of the side effects made me feel horribly worse and I ended up being weened off of everything except some Adivan. I feel better now, but still not right.

I need some help with my hormones, but don't know who to get it from or who to trust. Any info that you have would be helpful.

Thanks, Debbie O'Donnell

AngieW

Hello! I'm so glad to find a forum that doesn't make me feel I'm crazy! I myself have been struggling with health issues brought on by bio identical progesterone. My story begins two years ago after the birth of my fourth daughter. I began experiencing postpartum anxiety, which I have never had a "mental" issue before in my life. The doctor tried Zoloft which I had given six weeks to work with no improvement. So I decided to try progesterone which was to be taken days 16-28 of cycle 100mg twice daily. I thought I had found my miracle drug at first. I was sleeping, anxiety completely gone and I could handle stress! We'll it worked great for the first 4 months. I then started noticing a trend that slowly got worse each month. When I would take the torches on days 16-28 I felt great and calm. Then until the next two weeks until I would start the torches again I was plagued with anxiety, depression, weight loss. Increased heart rate sometimes mania and nervousness. I spent so much time trying to figure out what was wrong with me during those two weeks. I swore it was my thyroid or I was bipolar. I never thought it could be due to the progesterone cause I felt great on it! That was until recently in October I was taking the progesterone my breast were swollen and hard which I never have experienced and cold/allergy symptoms until my period came. After my period the worst depression I have ever experienced hit me. I could not function I have taken FMLA leave which I am currently still on. I am getting better slowly. I can go in public now and am sleeping again. Still having some issues with feeling stressed. In the last 6weeks I have experienced some major withdrawl symptoms that closely equal that of a benzo withdrawl. I had taken my complaints to both the Physician Assistant and compounding pharmacist, with which one said it must be my serotonin levels and the other mentioned bi polar. I'm sorry if this is lengthy but it half covers what my past two years have been like. I know I have a long ways to go in recovery. I found a new doctor and went to the OB finally whom both asked "why have you been taken these?" Benzo buddies has lots of women whom say that progesterone has withdrawal symptoms similar to benzo withdrawl and askapatient.com has lots of horrific experiences with the use of progesterone. Best wishes ladies

Anonymous

FDA really needs to BAN bio identical hormones. Creams and everything very dangerous. Watch and see how many cases start to appear from malpractice of hormones. I would love to sue the Dr that prescribed me bio identical hormones which ultimately put me in the hospital and has forced me to spend thousands on my recovery not to mention how it has diminished my life for the last couple of years. I hope many women come here to see the truth. It is the only true thread on the subject that I have found in 2 years. I am a survivor if u want me to answer questions so that u don't feel alone.

Can you help me I took this crap 9 months ago for 4 weeks a cream which I was using not knowing it stays in your system. And still feel awful like benzo withdrawls are describe. Thanks lisa

Hi Lisa! I'm sorry you too are going through this. It does get better! I am around 6 months post troche use and I feel every month I have improvement. I am 90% back to my old self again, and I know I will continue to heal. Hang in there you will recover. It is very similar to benzo withdrawl. Who would have thought?!? Something I thought as "natural" and safe could wreck such havoc. With time I believe information on progrsterones bad effects will surface. This is a new craze right now just like the estrogen phase in the 90's. The best advice I can give you is be patient with yourself and take it day by day! best wishes☺️ If you have any more questions about my experience you can ask away!

AngieW (reply to Anonymous)

The above anonymous comment is from Angie (me)! I was not signed in when I responded

AngieW (reply to Anonymous)

I could really use any helpful advice in recovering from the use of bio identical progesterone! Many thanks!

Anonymous (reply to AngieW)

Angie,
By my experience there are not ANY Dr's that specialize in recovery of taking bio-identicals. It is such a new thing and it's being mismanaged. The FDA has threatened to ban bio-identicals but have not yet. These Dr's are naive and full of it. Hormones move very slowly. The recovery time for me has been going on 2 years in May 2015. I was on a small amt of Testosterone cream and Estriol. The woman Dr. did not test my hormones before doing so and bullied me into taking them making me feel like i would not seek help for migranes. My woman chiropractor suggested i do a saliva test to see where my hormones were and they were off the chart so it scared me. I stopped immediately and it threw me into a life threatening situation. My panic attacks felt like i was dying every day and all day long. I would try to distract myself and then came the mental horror along with it. My eyes were twitching, i felt like i was dying. I have still a strange sensation in my mouth from some imbalance with my liver and kidneys. It's menopause 1 million. My digestion is not well even though i am on a strict ayurvedic diet. I can tell you this. It takes a long time. I am still recovering and i was only on the creams for 6 months. I have gotten alot of massages, i do sweats, chiropractor (because of severe arthritis in my bones as the hormones leave the last stage of the bones. The cream goes deep. It affects every part of you. When a person detoxes from a drug they go through stages. I have learned that i have to trust in GOD because if not i would be in every clinic hospital doing every test available in thinking i was going to die. Trust me. It takes time. A person needs to see an ayruvedic dr. The woman i saw helped me alot in telling me what to eat etc. She was the only one whom seemed somewhat familiar with what i was going through. Apparently it is similar to a regular bad menopause, but alot worse. This has been a huge learning experience for me. I had to shut out the world and heal. Goat's milk has helped me immensely. Warm goat's milk with a little bit of cardamon. Hot baths at night, Tension Tamer Tea by Celestial Seasonings. ( I am an herbalists and health practitioner, so i have tried everything. I know what i am talking about). At this stage i am drinking a tea by Andreas Moritz that is a kidney tea to clear my kidney's. Cheese, Sugar, bread all a no no. Grains such as quoina is the best. I make lots of soups. Chicken soup this whole time. I make it and eat it all through the week. I put leafy greens in it like spinach or chard. Susan Weed has a book called New Menopausal Years The Wise Woman Way. It's helpful too to know about true menopause and the symptoms that are associated. Remember, Sugar, pickled things, processed foods, salt ( I use pink himalayan sea salt), breads, dairy (goat is the best if you are to do dairy) are all foods that will make it harder to feel good. You might think you are going crazy but just hold faith that it will pass. Water. Drink water if you feel too weird. Natural ayurvedic studies are showing now that the digestive tract and the head (throat, thyroid) are all connected. When your digestion is sluggish, it can cause problems in the head. Yogurt. Goat yogurt is good. I put goat yogurt, a banana and fresh spring water. Blend it in a small smoothie blender and drink that. Now i have added apple juice...but for a while i could only eat oats ( i have a great recipe) with ghee. Ghee instead of butter. A life change will take money. Anyways, i haven't even been able to talk to a counsellor or even holistic dr who knew what i was going through exactly. Gotta Go ! Talk to you later :)

I was on the bio-identical hormones for almost two years. They checked my hormone levels only one time, in the beginning. I began to get very sick. When I finally had my hormones checked , my testosterone was tHree times what it should be. I still didn't make the connection and I don't even know if tht was the problem now. I became so sick that I couldn't sit up. The doctors didn't know what was wrong with me. I went to Mayo in Phoenix. I was outpatient for a montH. They treated my symptoms but couldn't tell me what was causing it. I went on insulin, thyroid extremely low,iron very high,copper high,had NASH, tumor on kidney. After five to six months, but spontaneously began to get better. Thyroid became normal, Nash (nonalcoholic steato hepatitis, liver problems) went away. Everything went back to normal and I still don't know what caused it. one doctor said a virus perhaps. I don't know. I'm fine now but went thru a couple years of hell. I would just like to know if it had anything to do with the hormones.

I have been through hell for a 9 months for using progestrone cream for 4 weeks. Please help. Will this go away. I can't even tell you the mental torture I've been through from this stuff. Only took it for migraines. It's like benzo withdrawls I have read. Will this go away?

Dr's say it takes a long time for hormones to leave the body. Every tiny step toward recovery is. Counted. Definitely a very slow detox. I am going on 2 yrs of recovery from doing cream for just 6 months. It has now moving thru,y skeletal system. Total nightmare but I truely believe I may one day fully recover. Hang strong and know it is going to take time.

Do you have hot flashes due to menopause? :