Menopause

Menopause Guide

ask: I had a bad experience with bioidentical hormones. What information can you give me on this topic?

I ended up in the hospital with severe panic attacks and delusional thoughts after being given too little estrogen and way too much progesterone by an N. D. here in the valley. I have had a full hysterectomy and was told by three other doctors that I never should have been given the progesterone. This episode caused a chain reaction in which I was then put on too high of a dose of Lexapro and many other anti-anxiety drugs for the next two years. All of the side effects made me feel horribly worse and I ended up being weened off of everything except some Adivan. I feel better now, but still not right.

I need some help with my hormones, but don't know who to get it from or who to trust. Any info that you have would be helpful.

Thanks, Debbie O'Donnell

AngieW

Hello! I'm so glad to find a forum that doesn't make me feel I'm crazy! I myself have been struggling with health issues brought on by bio identical progesterone. My story begins two years ago after the birth of my fourth daughter. I began experiencing postpartum anxiety, which I have never had a "mental" issue before in my life. The doctor tried Zoloft which I had given six weeks to work with no improvement. So I decided to try progesterone which was to be taken days 16-28 of cycle 100mg twice daily. I thought I had found my miracle drug at first. I was sleeping, anxiety completely gone and I could handle stress! We'll it worked great for the first 4 months. I then started noticing a trend that slowly got worse each month. When I would take the torches on days 16-28 I felt great and calm. Then until the next two weeks until I would start the torches again I was plagued with anxiety, depression, weight loss. Increased heart rate sometimes mania and nervousness. I spent so much time trying to figure out what was wrong with me during those two weeks. I swore it was my thyroid or I was bipolar. I never thought it could be due to the progesterone cause I felt great on it! That was until recently in October I was taking the progesterone my breast were swollen and hard which I never have experienced and cold/allergy symptoms until my period came. After my period the worst depression I have ever experienced hit me. I could not function I have taken FMLA leave which I am currently still on. I am getting better slowly. I can go in public now and am sleeping again. Still having some issues with feeling stressed. In the last 6weeks I have experienced some major withdrawl symptoms that closely equal that of a benzo withdrawl. I had taken my complaints to both the Physician Assistant and compounding pharmacist, with which one said it must be my serotonin levels and the other mentioned bi polar. I'm sorry if this is lengthy but it half covers what my past two years have been like. I know I have a long ways to go in recovery. I found a new doctor and went to the OB finally whom both asked "why have you been taken these?" Benzo buddies has lots of women whom say that progesterone has withdrawal symptoms similar to benzo withdrawl and askapatient.com has lots of horrific experiences with the use of progesterone. Best wishes ladies

Anonymous

FDA really needs to BAN bio identical hormones. Creams and everything very dangerous. Watch and see how many cases start to appear from malpractice of hormones. I would love to sue the Dr that prescribed me bio identical hormones which ultimately put me in the hospital and has forced me to spend thousands on my recovery not to mention how it has diminished my life for the last couple of years. I hope many women come here to see the truth. It is the only true thread on the subject that I have found in 2 years. I am a survivor if u want me to answer questions so that u don't feel alone.

AngieW (reply to Anonymous)

I could really use any helpful advice in recovering from the use of bio identical progesterone! Many thanks!

Anonymous (reply to AngieW)

Angie,
By my experience there are not ANY Dr's that specialize in recovery of taking bio-identicals. It is such a new thing and it's being mismanaged. The FDA has threatened to ban bio-identicals but have not yet. These Dr's are naive and full of it. Hormones move very slowly. The recovery time for me has been going on 2 years in May 2015. I was on a small amt of Testosterone cream and Estriol. The woman Dr. did not test my hormones before doing so and bullied me into taking them making me feel like i would not seek help for migranes. My woman chiropractor suggested i do a saliva test to see where my hormones were and they were off the chart so it scared me. I stopped immediately and it threw me into a life threatening situation. My panic attacks felt like i was dying every day and all day long. I would try to distract myself and then came the mental horror along with it. My eyes were twitching, i felt like i was dying. I have still a strange sensation in my mouth from some imbalance with my liver and kidneys. It's menopause 1 million. My digestion is not well even though i am on a strict ayurvedic diet. I can tell you this. It takes a long time. I am still recovering and i was only on the creams for 6 months. I have gotten alot of massages, i do sweats, chiropractor (because of severe arthritis in my bones as the hormones leave the last stage of the bones. The cream goes deep. It affects every part of you. When a person detoxes from a drug they go through stages. I have learned that i have to trust in GOD because if not i would be in every clinic hospital doing every test available in thinking i was going to die. Trust me. It takes time. A person needs to see an ayruvedic dr. The woman i saw helped me alot in telling me what to eat etc. She was the only one whom seemed somewhat familiar with what i was going through. Apparently it is similar to a regular bad menopause, but alot worse. This has been a huge learning experience for me. I had to shut out the world and heal. Goat's milk has helped me immensely. Warm goat's milk with a little bit of cardamon. Hot baths at night, Tension Tamer Tea by Celestial Seasonings. ( I am an herbalists and health practitioner, so i have tried everything. I know what i am talking about). At this stage i am drinking a tea by Andreas Moritz that is a kidney tea to clear my kidney's. Cheese, Sugar, bread all a no no. Grains such as quoina is the best. I make lots of soups. Chicken soup this whole time. I make it and eat it all through the week. I put leafy greens in it like spinach or chard. Susan Weed has a book called New Menopausal Years The Wise Woman Way. It's helpful too to know about true menopause and the symptoms that are associated. Remember, Sugar, pickled things, processed foods, salt ( I use pink himalayan sea salt), breads, dairy (goat is the best if you are to do dairy) are all foods that will make it harder to feel good. You might think you are going crazy but just hold faith that it will pass. Water. Drink water if you feel too weird. Natural ayurvedic studies are showing now that the digestive tract and the head (throat, thyroid) are all connected. When your digestion is sluggish, it can cause problems in the head. Yogurt. Goat yogurt is good. I put goat yogurt, a banana and fresh spring water. Blend it in a small smoothie blender and drink that. Now i have added apple juice...but for a while i could only eat oats ( i have a great recipe) with ghee. Ghee instead of butter. A life change will take money. Anyways, i haven't even been able to talk to a counsellor or even holistic dr who knew what i was going through exactly. Gotta Go ! Talk to you later :)

AngieW (reply to Anonymous)

Wow. Thank you for all the info! Very appreciative for your response. I posted my story earlier today in this forum. My mother went through the same thing in 2001 when she abruptly stopped her synthetic estrogen treatment cold turkey. She is better than ever now, but she healed herself with nutrition! She is helping me also in recovering! Thanks Again!

Anonymous

This is the only internet site that describes the problems associated with the horrible plight of bio identical hormones. The FDA should ban these and dr.s are hyping this deadly solution to hormone inbalances. I am going on 2 years of withdrawing from 6 months of bio cream. I did stop cold turkey and it put me in the hospital with extreme panic attacks and kidney and liver disjunction even tho tests were showing normal. I have been far far from normal. I am grateful to be alive. These creams will be banned in the future. Mark my words.

Anonymous

The things in common with bad outcomes seem to be based on too little Testosterone and too much weight placed on Progesterone. Use a better dosing method and make sure to have a decent amount of T, it is the balancer!
www.hormone-treatment.com for more information.

Anonymous

I see this thread is dated, but I am having a very similar problem.

Started bioidentical hormones..progesterone pills )400 mg per day for 10 days per month, and .25 testosterone cream.

I started having terrible panic attacks about 3 weeks in. I've stopped everything 5 days ago but still panic=city. I really need to know what I've done to myself and how long this will last.

It is pure hell.

justjay1224 (reply to Anonymous)

Good Morning.... I am just inquiring if you got all this under control... I started a very low dose of Bioidentical Progesterone/Testosterone Cream Tuesday. Within 30 minutes, I started feeling funny. Shortly after, Jitters set in, then Nervousness, then Pings of anxiety.....By the time I got home from work that day, I was in my closet crying....Insomnia that night as well. Wednesday, still has the pings of anxiety, but was able to sleep that night... Thursday was fulll blown anxiety, so I went to see my PC physician...she said she had never heard of this, but retook my blood to retest my levels. By the end of the day, I had to call her again because my Anxiety was thru the roof... I drove home which was a hour drive and within 15-20 minutes of being home, I went to my local ER with severe Anxiety.... Of course the ER doctor on duty said it couldn't be my Scrip because it should be out of my body by now.... Anyone that has any knowledge of this, Please respond and give me some advice....

Anonymous (reply to justjay1224)

Yes, bio identical hormones are dangerous and life threatening. Anything out there that says anything different is a lie. I am going on 2 years of recovering from a low dose of bio identical cream which ended me in the hospital with extreme panic attacks, ringing in the ears, liver, kidney problems, psychosis and so on. I want to sue somebody...like the dr that prescribed this to me...but she was "let go" for some reason? Go figure. FDA needs to ban hormone creams. Very very dangerous.

Do you have hot flashes due to menopause? :