Q: 

I had a bad experience with bioidentical hormones. What information can you give me on this topic?

By Anonymous December 2, 2008 - 9:03am

I ended up in the hospital with severe panic attacks and delusional thoughts after being given too little estrogen and way too much progesterone by an N. D. here in the valley. I have had a full hysterectomy and was told by three other doctors that I never should have been given the progesterone. This episode caused a chain reaction in which I was then put on too high of a dose of Lexapro and many other anti-anxiety drugs for the next two years. All of the side effects made me feel horribly worse and I ended up being weened off of everything except some Adivan. I feel better now, but still not right.

I need some help with my hormones, but don't know who to get it from or who to trust. Any info that you have would be helpful.

Thanks, Debbie O'Donnell

Anonymous

A doctor implanted a testosterone pellet three weeks ago in me and 2 days later I started to feel lots of widespread pain and constant nausea and even diarrhea. Those last two are super rare in life for me. I've discovered via having an mthfr expert go thru my 23andme results and other biochemical tests than my detox pathways for hormones are not functioning. Once hormones are used by the body their leftover metabolite forms are "trash" and need to be escorted out of the body but my body wasn't doing that via the glucuronidation pathway and one other. In part because of a genetic SNP at CYP1b1. Shawn bean is a brilliant guy and one of a half dozen people I've seen in is who can cull thru medical tests and genetic results and figure these complex biochemically driven things out. And he recommends protocols to fix these issues. Meanwhile I am feeling blessed as an amazing surgeon in Maryland ( just outside D.C. ) removed my pellet today without pain and hassle. It was tough as it was one inch down. Don't ever try this he said without ultrasound guidance thru entire operation! Many surgeons just use ultrasound before the operation but he said he really really needed it thru the whole thing. I've heard horror stories so I went to the best surgeon I could find!! It paid off. Dr Thomas Zorc in chevy chase Maryland.

Anonymous

I have been on HRT for about 4 weeks now. I honestly do not feel good at all.
I am experiencing mild depression and moodiness. Things bother me more.
I really felt better before starting all this. I am 62 years old.
I think I am going to quit completely.

I feel this exact way I had bio hormones pellets four weeks ago 50mg testosterone and 50 mg estrogen and I have been to my primary care dr and the emergency room for severe fatigue and anxiety where they gave me anxiety meds and I have called my ob office and told them I feel terrible.Cant sleep anxiety no energy fatigue just feel awful and they just tell me I may need to see a therapist.I even asked if I could have them removed and they told me they can't be removed.I had my blood work done today and I pray it shows something with the hormones is off because if not I have no idea what is wrong with me.

Good idea!! Bad bad stuff! You may have terrible symptoms so just beware. It's been almost 6 years since I quit cold turkey only being on them ...small dose...for 6 months. Get out while your ahead. Truely!

Anonymous

I had the BHRT pellets implanted one month ago and have developed a severe allergic reaction to something in the pellet. When I say severe I mean I am covered in red blotchy spots all over my body. I itch all over and can't sleep. Went to a doc in the box and they gave me a steriod shot and that only made it worse so I have been popping Benedryl like candy and that only helps for a couple of hours. The people at the office where I had the procedure aren't acting all that concerned and told me that I would just have to ride it out for another month and 1/2 when the pellet wears off. I am desperate for relief. It's very frustrating and it's only getting worse. I don't know what to do. Any advice would be helpful.

Anonymous

I started on bioidentical hormones 4 years ago and have never felt normal. I take 100mg progesterone 2 weeks off and 2 weeks on and I use Estrogel 28 days out of the month. I am beginning to think it's the bioidentical hormones that have me in a heightened anxiety state and not able to handle life as I once could. I consider myself a strong individual and yet, these past 4 years (I am 54), I have struggle with mental health more than ever.

Anonymous

Not sure what to think. Found this site because I've just begun BHRT--one week ago--and the first night I was hit with major anxiety, nausea, brain jitters, chest pressure and insomnia (complete). .5 E2, 1 E3, 100 mg prog, 3 T. My practitioner recommended I cut to half dose. I cut to a quarter dose and took it earlier in the evening. Still some reaction, but not so much. Then on the sixth night, another big, bad reaction like the first night. My practitioner is stumped. Says this reaction is unusual. I've had some positive effects--good sleep on the nights I haven't had a terrible reaction, my mouth feels less dry, my brain feels a little more normal. But these side effects feel dangerous. I've talked to the compounding pharmacy and my practitioner and they're both suggesting I try separating the T from the rest and see if that's causing the reaction. I'm reluctant to go back at all, but there's a reason I wanted to try it in the first place. It's been an expensive experiment. Would love to hear from anyone who's had a similar experience and actually solved it!

Hi I'm having the exact same side effects after having T pellet inserted yesterday...I fell like I'm going to end up in the ER. Never doing this again!

Hello I had the hormone pellets estr Gen and testosterone in July and I have been to my Ob my regular doctor and the ER because of the extreme symptoms.Fatigue anxiety insomnia and irritability and no one could help me.My Ob said all of her other patients love the pellets but I have read thread after tread of woman having these same issues.Once these are done and out of my body I will never do them again and I'll try something all natural because I felt worse after having these inserted and only had bad hot flashes before.The no energy and anxiety are the worse.
God bless you and I pray you feel better because I feel your pain for sure.

Hello,
Did you ever find out the answer to your concerns? I am dealing with the exact thing now and would love to hear what you found out.

Menopause

Menopause Guide