I had BC 10 years ago and I thought I was home free, now they tell me it could still come back, what's changed?

By Anonymous February 20, 2009 - 5:31pm

Hi, Anon, I'm also interested to know who told you that it could come back. Was this your doctor? I'm glad you stopped by EmpowHer -- you'll have access to great info as well as a wonderful, caring community.

Thanks for your question.

From the title of your question, I can't tell if your doctors are suspicious that it has, in face, returned, or that they are simply reminding you that cancer can come back at at any time to any person.

Breast cancer can return in various ways -

Locally - In the same place in your breast as last time
Regionally - in the breast area
Mestatastically - in others areas of the body (it originated in the breast but spread)

About 75% of return breast cancers return to - or close to - the same place.

Can you tell us what kind of breast cancer you had? There are different statistics and likelihoods for different kinds of breast cancer. And it also makes a difference if you had a lumpectomy or a mastectomy. And remember - every person is different so the chances and odds for return will always be an individual issue.

Can you give us a little more info?