I had sex about a week or two before my expected period, what are the chances I'm pregnant? And can you have a period, and still be pregnant?

By September 17, 2009 - 9:31pm

I don't know the exact date of my last period, but I believe it was around August 18th. I've always had a very irregular cycle, going anywhere from 3 to 6 weeks between periods. I had unprotected sex and my boyfriend came inside me on September 11th & 15th. I have several questions. What are the chances that I am pregnant?? At what point, if I don't get my period, should I take a pregnany test (& the results be accurate)?? Is it possible that I might get my period anyway, and still be pregnant? I've read that it is possible, but it's usually an irregular period. Mine are usually fairly light & only last about 3 days. What might be different if I am still pregnant? Also, I can usually tell when I am about to start, I get really awful cramps for about a week before hand. I have not had this at all or any other signs that I might be getting ready to start my period, or that I might be pregnant. Except that I have had to pee a lot. Any information and advice would be helpful, thanks!

Anonymous

I have a question. I had sex 3 times last week and once again two days ago, each time was unprotected and he ejaculated inside of me. Today, I've had really light spotting as if I'm going to get my period. Is it possible to still get pregnant?

Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Yes, it is possible to get pregnant when you have unprotected sex, especially five days before you ovulate and on the day you ovulate.

If this spotting increases to a flow, it is your period. If it does not, and goes away in a day or two, it might be implantation bleeding.

Regards,

Anonymous

I am freaking out. I am 49 and had sex for the first time in 12 years on the 6th of this month. He entered me without a condom for about 12 strokes as our miscommunication came to light. He thought I had my tubes tied. He put on a condom, we continued, and he finished in me with the condom on. I saw it as he stood up and everything looked intact. I believe it also had spermacide on it. Yes, I have had some perimenopause symptoms and also have thyroid disease. I was expecting my period around the 15th and it's not here. I am freaking out. It's not here. I had acprriod of infertility for about 7 years in my twenties. I became fertile myrtle and became pregnant at 34 and again at 35 (while on the pill). What do you think? Since Jan of this year, I have missed two periods. I believe it was perimenopause related but not consecutive misses. I am having intense food cravings (had them in both previous pregnancies) and this morning feel gaggy. Help!

Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Take a home pregnancy test. Wait about 2 to 21/2 weeks from the time you had sex until you test.

Levels of hCG can be detected in urine about 12 to 14 days following conception. Since your periods have become irregular, you cannot wait until your next period is late.

Keep in touch,

Anonymous (reply to Maryann Gromisch RN)

Thank you. It will be two weeks on Sunday. I will let you know. But aren't my chances pretty small being 49?

Guide (reply to Anonymous)

Yes, small chance if you are in perimenopause but a chance none the less if you are still ovulating.

Anonymous

The last time i had sex was october 8th or 9th. I had a very light and unusual period only lasted 3 to 4 days about 2 weeks later. My next period isnt for another 2 weeks, and my normal periods are heavy and about 7 to 9 days long. But recently i have been experiencing swollen and tender/sore breast, im very tired more than usual, im hungry more than usual, also had been having unusual white vaginal discharge and i feel different. I took a pregnancy test, it said negative. I have pcos and have always had a hard time staying pregnant. Is it possible that im pregnant, and that my HCG levels are just low or am i experiencing symptoms for another reason?

Guide (reply to Anonymous)

If you tested based on the unusual period of two weeks ago, and got a negative result, you are not pregnant. However, with a history of PCOS and such an unusual period, you might want to reach out to your gynecologist.

Regards,

Had unprotected sex 2 weeks ago and as of today I am 8 days late.... Had sex about a month prior but had a full blown cycle. Should i be worried? Am I stressed or should I break down and take a test? Sleep patterns and appetite definetely changing.... No nausea though or tender breast.... I wish my body would just go ahead and tell me something.

Anonymous

I had unprotected sex with my boyfriend october 7th . I got my period around the 16th of october but it was light. I had unprotected sex the 27-29 of october . On november 5th , i used the bathroom and when i wiped there was blood , an hour later i used the bathroom no blood when i wiped. Same thing happened the next day . Right now im not bleeding but i have tender boobs & back pain. I also just took a pregnancy test , it came out negative .. Could i still be pregnant ?