Facebook Pixel
EmpowHER Guest

I have aspergillus allergy

By Anonymous June 30, 2013 - 11:00am
Rate This

I have a terrible time with my allergy to aspergillus. I have problems with my lungs, it feels like bronchitis. Headaches and dizziness sometimes, eventually the fever comes. Mucus from lungs mustard color. Once I had an aspergilus ball come out of my nose!
I have taken countless antibiotics, then prednisone. If I leave this it turns into pneumonia and I have been hospitalized 2 in the last two years. Please someone out there is there anything I can do? Chinese medicine? I need some help.

Add a Comment1 Comments

EmpowHER Guest

Hi Anon,


Welcome to EmpowHER.  Aspergillus mold allergies are a particularly difficult type of mold allergy that people experience. Aspergillus is a common mold that grows on decomposing organic matter such as compost, leaves, fruit, vegetables, and tree bark. Indoors, the mold grows in organic matter in trash cans, on damp wood surfaces, and in most other locations where other molds and fungi grow, such as damp ductwork, carpets, and foam pillows.

This particular type of mold can be very dangerous to people with compromised immune systems, such as people with autoimmune disorders, HIV/AIDS, lung disorders, lung cancer, or small infants with lung problems. Aspergillus can cause a lung condition called aspergillosis, and in rare cases a large ball of fungi can grow in the lung--an aspergilloma--that is extremely rare but which requires surgery for removal and treatment.

For most aspergillus mold allergies, decreasing exposure to this environmental mold is enough to manage symptoms. The easiest way to remove aspergillus from allergy sufferers is to relocate to an area of the country where aspergillus is rare, such as the southwest. Persons living in a river valley, near water, or near farms and mills are at highest risk for exposure. Moving is not realistic for most people with aspergullus mold allergies, however. With this in mind, consider the following steps to reduce aspergillus exposure in the spring and fall, when it is most prevelent in the air:

1. Wear a mask when working in the yard. Any raking of decomposing plants and leaves will stir up aspergillus. Forget what the neighbors might think: aspergillus mold allergies are more important than appearance.

2. Get rid of old books, older untreated indoor wood, and houseplants that attract mold easily.

3. Declutter anything in damp areas of the basement. Put in dehumidifiers, either electric or chemical.

 4. Rip out old carpets that are damp or were once damp. Even one exposure to wetness can breed aspergillus.

 5. Run an air filter in your home, especially in the bedroom.

6. Wipe down all surfaces with a miticide--a mold-killing chemical. Wash all walls, baseboards, counters, cabinets, and bookshelves. Consider washing all drawers and other pieces of furniture as well.

7. Remove shoes before entering the home. Wash hands immediately when entering the house.

8. Open windows rarely, and never on damp days. Run the air conditioning in the spring and fall rather than opening windows. Open windows only on dry days.

9. Reduce consumption of fermented or fungi products, such as wines, cheeses, or anything containing vinegar.



June 30, 2013 - 6:14pm
Enter the characters shown in the image.
By submitting this form, you agree to EmpowHER's terms of service and privacy policy
Add a Comment

All user-generated information on this site is the opinion of its author only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for any medical conditions. Members and guests are responsible for their own posts and the potential consequences of those posts detailed in our Terms of Service.



Get Email Updates

Related Checklists

Allergies Guide


Have a question? We're here to help. Ask the Community.


Health Newsletter

Receive the latest and greatest in women's health and wellness from EmpowHER - for free!