I have been diagnosed with genital warts. When treated, will they re-occur or I am considered cured?

Thanks for your question - it's a great one!

Genital wart removal is often successful (meaning all the warts are removed) but there is no cure. You can get another occurrence at any time, especially if your immune system is low (if you are ill, or pregnant etc). Some people only have one occurrence, others may have them every now and again, for life.

These warts are caused by the HPV virus and there is no cure for this. But regular pap smears will help to ensure that this virus will not lead to cervical cervical disease or cancer. You will need to ensure you use condoms to help avoid spreading the virus. Condoms are not 100% effective in this, but certainly help.

Take a look at out genital warts section here : http://www.empowher.com/condition/genital-warts

You will be able to learn a lot about the cause, treatments, precautions and short educational videos and articles. You can also read the experiences of others with HPV/genital warts.

Will you let me know if this information is helpful to you? Can I help you in another way?

Susan, thanks for your prompt response. I just met this guy a few months now. We are getting serious making plans to take our AIDS test together and this happens. I feel dirty. I tried avoiding this but it happened.
He does not know yet. We will have the talk this evening.