I have been injecting Levimir insulin for several years now. One of the side effects I am experiencing is lipodystrophy which has caused my legs to be very ugly. Is there a way to reverse the pitting the injections cause?

By Anonymous February 19, 2016 - 12:30pm

Thank you for your time and response.

HERWriter Guide (reply to uleesh)

Hi again uleesh

You're welcome - I wish I could have been of more help. If I read anything more about this issue, I'll repost on this thread and you'll get an email notification.

Lipodystrophy is a side effect of some medications including Levimir. Lipodystrophy is a condition in people where dents and pitting develop on the body around the injection sites they use.

Are you injecting in the same spots all the time? This is generally the cause - injection in the same areas over a long period of time. Can you inject in a wide variety of places in order to avoid this? Have you talked to your doctor about this?

Lipodystrophy is also bad because it can affect the way the medication you are using is absorbed by the body.

Please give us a little more information about your situation to help us to guide you further. We look forward to hearing back from you and in the meantime, feel free to peruse our Diabetes page here: http://www.empowher.com/condition/diabetes

Thanks for your reply. I never inject in the same spots. I wonder if it's better to inject the Levimir, which is long-term, in an area other than my hips & thighs. One doctor has told me to make sure I rotate injection sites and another disagreed that the lipodystrophy was a side effect. . So, since as far as I know I have educated myself to a point where I think I am not doing anything wrong, I now just want to know if there is a way to undo the damage which is the pitting.

HERWriter Guide (reply to uleesh)

Hi uleesh

From what I have read, most doctor don't focus on lipodystrophy, rather the disease/condition (in your case, diabetes).
I think it's a good idea to consult a cosmetic surgeon for advice, making sure he/she is fully aware of your health conditions.

Diabetes Guide