I have been on my period for over a week, is that normal?

By January 17, 2011 - 1:15pm

I finally got my period after not having it for 2 months. What I am concerned about now is that I have been bleeding somewhat heavy for over a week now, could there be something really wrong with me? Normally my periods last no longer than 6 days.

Hi no_name

Thanks for your question. Some periods can be pretty heavy and last from 2-days. Give your body another couple of days and if the bleeding has not slowed down, then put a call into your doctor.

I read on your other posts that you took a pregnancy test and were not pregnant so there should be no cause for alarm as yet. Periods can be different every month and it sounds like unfortunately, you're one of many women with these kinds of irregularities.

Again, place a call to your doctor if you don't see a decrease in bleeding in the next few days.

Thanks for writing!