I have been suffering from chronic/constant nausea for the past 4 months, I want to know what is causing it.

I have seen a GI specialist in Scottsdale who diagnosed gastroparesis, based on one out of many, many tests. He then referred me to a GI specialist at Mayo who doesn't think the nausea is being caused by gastroparesis, but adhesions. However, she is testing me for the condition. I have no pain, I have not been throwing up, but have had the dry heaves, which haven't occurred in awhile. But the nausea is constant, just varies in intensity. My entire life and lifestyle has changed because of this and I'm so sick of being sick. . .especially because no definite diagnosis has been made. Oh, and I also see a naturopath who thinks I have "post infectious gastroparesis" but is also treating me for adhesions. In other words the doctors don't have a clue.

Nausea is literally sickening to deal with, I have suffered this before regardless of pregnancy (never found out why and it left) and it just takes over your life.

There are other reasons for nausea besides pregnancy (I assume you have ruled that out) and gastric issues. One is a problem with the inner ear (called chronic vestibular dysfunction) that is sometimes mistaken for a gastric illness. This is something to consider.

Other causes are gallstones, if you are in your 40s or 50s (a typical time for women to have gallbladder problems), this is definitely something you may want to look into.

Women experience heart issues differently to men. One symptom of heart disease that women often have that men don't often have is nausea. Also, there may be psychological component to nausea. Have you been under some kind of stress in the past four months?

I'm sorry we can't offer you a solution but I hope my suggestions can help you look into other ideas. A lot of women suffer bad nausea in pregnancy (I did too) and the feeling is miserable. But at least there is a reason and solution (birth). Please keep us posted, I'm interested to know what's going on.

Thank you Susan for your response.
Not pregnant, I've had my heart checked, gallbladder checked, blood and just about everything under the sun checked. One Dr. says gastroparesis, another says adhesions and another says infectious disease. I can't get a solid diagnosis, just more nausea medications and more tests; i.e. MRI's, ultrasounds, blood tests, CT scans etc. I've got two more MRI's scheduled for next week, a gastric emptying test the week after, and then a colonoscopy. I'm so excited. So far nothing definitive has turned up, just constant nausea which can be mild or very severe. Doesn't seem to matter what I do or eat or take for the nausea. It just comes and goes on whimsy.
Anyway thanks again for responding. I hope to hear from you again.
My name is Kathy and I'm very new to this website. Haven't quite figured it out.

Hi Kathy and welcome to EmpowHER!

Click around our site when you have time, you'll get used to it!

Good luck with the rest of the testing, colonoscopies suck, I'm 45 and have had two an woke up in the middle of both. That's not common so you won't (maybe I shouldn't have said that!~). If your colonoscopy is clear there should be no need to get another one for 10 years, my doctor said they are done far too much when it's not needed.

Don't forget about the inner ear thing. When it's diagnosed incorrectly ,one of the most common incorrect diagnoses is gastroparesis.

Please keep us posted and enjoy the site.

Thank you Susan, not looking forward to all those tests, but looking beyond and being hopeful that they find an answer to this BS.
I've had my inner ears checked and they seem to be normal. So I will just fight the nausea until someone figures out what the heck is wrong with me.
Appreciate your comments and I will keep trying to figure out this website.