I have a black hole on my top (near the back ) tooth i think its my molar.It only hurts when cold drinks or food go on it ( quite painful) but other than that its fine,I am a little worried and i dont know what to do.the black hole is quite near the gum ?

By January 18, 2010 - 11:58am

Dear pink123

Thanks for your question.

The 'black hole' sounds like a cavity and you may need a filling - this is a pretty painless procedure that can be done in 20 minutes.

But you will probably need an X-ray to see the extent of the cavity and check for any kind of tooth fracture. Based on the severity of the cavity, your dentist will let you know your options but you'll actually have to be seen and X-rayed first. If it's not a cavity, your dentist will be able to get to the root (excuse the pun!) of the problem but a cavity sounds pretty likely.

The hole will only get bigger if you don't get it fixed and may cause damage to your gums so please make an appointment as soon as you can.

Will you keep us updated?

please someone (dentist) help me ! :)

Dental & Oral Health

Dental & Oral Health Guide