Depression

Depression Guide

DaisyN Guide

ask: I have cardiomyopathy/congestive heart failure for the last 20 years

Ive also had back pain for the same amount of time, that has recently become extremely severe in the last year. I can no longer walk. MRI taken on 4-3-12 shows arthritis, herniated 5th disc and extreme spinal stenosis.
I can't make a decision about surgery because of my heart. Are they any alternatives?
I am 57 and homebound, sleeping on a recliner to ease pain. I notice depression in the last few months. What should I do ?

Thank you for your question. I'm so sorry to hear about te pain caused by your arthritis and spinal stenosis. If surgery is not an option, you can take medications prescribed by your doctor, possibly Non- steroidal anti inflammatory drugs and cortico-steroids, and ask about physical therapy. 

In regards to the depression, it can be likely that the pain and the fact that you are home bound are taking a toll on you emotionally, and I am so sorry. You can ask your doctor for a referral to a therapist or for an anti-depressant in the meantime. 

Here are some resources on depression that you may find helpful: http://www.empowher.com/condition/depression/definition

http://www.empowher.com/mental-health/content/study-living-alone-could-contribute-developing-depression

Best Wishes,

Rosa

Have you ever used an online community or social network to self-diagnose a medical problem?: