Eyes & Vision

Eyes & Vision Guide

ask: I have crusty, dry eyes each morning, what can I do?

By Jenny Housh HERWriter

I have dry eyes, I wake up every morning with crusty, dry eyes. It hurts to open them sometimes. What can I do?

Hello Jenny,

This sounds very unpleasant and uncomfortable. Sorry to hear that you are experiencing this every morning.

There are two possible causes.

One is that you are not producing enough tears. You could try using an over the counter artificial tears product.

The second possibility is an allergen that you are responding to. Start with your bed linens. Use a laundry detergent that is free of dyes and fragrances. Consider purchasing bed linens and a pillow that are made of organic cotton and toxin free.

Regards,

Do you wear contact lenses? :