I have a cyst on my left ovary. I need advise and or help!

Im 18 and i just got diagnosed with a cyst on my left ovary. Not sure what type of cyst it is but i also have pcos. Have been having pain in my pelvic and sometimes its hard to work or even move. The pain isnt always there but most of the time i wake up with pain. As of right now, i got pain. I have been bleeding for two weeks straight. Started off with spotting,and goes heavier then light. The blood is bright red and sometimes the blood is a dark brown. I also been having little clots of blood with my bleeding. They arent always their but when they are im usually bleeding heavy. My pierod should be next week,but what should i do if i keep bleeding after that week or what should i do in general? Im so woried that i wont be able to have children after this..

Thanks for your question and I'm sorry you are in pain. 

Cycts are part of PCOS, unfortunately. 

Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is a chronic endocrine disorder in women. Characteristics of PCOS are:

• High levels of male hormones (androgens)
  • Infertility
  • Obesity
  • Insulin resistance
  • Hair growth on face and body
  • Anovulation—when the ovaries make few or no eggs

Ovaries make follicles that hold eggs. With PCOS, the ovaries make the follicles, but the eggs do not mature or leave the ovary. The immature follicles can turn into fluid-filled sacs called cysts . Most women with PCOS have cysts. But women with ovarian cysts do not necessarily have PCOS.

Some women with PCOS have irregular bleeding (some hardly ever have periods) so this bleeding is likely associated with that. 

Treatment includes:

• Managing symptoms
  • Weight loss if overweight, nutrition consultation
  • Exercise
  • Insulin resistance, glucose intolerance, and prediabetes management
  • Oral contraceptive
  • Inducing ovulation (if you wish to get pregnant)
  • Preventing complications
  • Anti-androgenic medications for blocking future hirsutism(unwanted hair growth)

Lifestyle Measures

To lower cholesterol levels and reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, and heart disease:

• Get regular screenings for diabetes, high blood cholesterol, and fat levels.
  • Exercise regularly.
  • Eat a low-fat diet.
  • Maintain a healthy weight.

Hormonal Therapy

Birth control pills regulate periods. Also, by causing the uterine lining to shed regularly, they reduce the risk of overgrowth or cancer. They also control abnormal hair growth and acne. Other hormones (called progestins) may also be used to regulate menstruation. They can be used monthly or intermittently. Fertility drugs may be given instead to stimulate ovulation in women who want to become pregnant.

Anon, I think it's a good idea to talk to your doctor about managing your symptoms. You have read above about all the treatment options, so I'm sure you and she can find one that suits you. 

Since you are worried about having babies - this is something that is of concern for many women with PCOS although many go on to have healthy babies. 

Talk to your doctor about this too. 

I hope this information has helped you?

Ovarian Cysts

Ovarian Cysts Guide