I have end have stage kidney failure and cannot have a transplant for another 4 years because I had breast cancer last year. Why can't you have a transplant for five years after having cancer?

Congratulations on your successful treatment for breast cancer.I'm sorry to know you have other serious health concerns to deal with still.

From my research, transplants are never conducted on anyone with cancer. Because many cancer patients are considered to be in remission from cancer (once treatment is successful) for five years. Remission means there is no active cancer in the body but there is the potential for it to return.

While it's not always the case, doctors often use a guideline that a person is "cancer-free" after five years of successful treatment. Until then, they are in remission.

Transplants are generally held back for those five years to make sure the cancer does not return.

I hope this information helps you.