I have had depression and anxiety from the time I was a small child...why?

By Anonymous December 12, 2011 - 11:17am

I have always been extremely tired and depressed as a child. I was diagnosed with a learning disability in reading and math. Lived in a fog. All I wanted to do is sleep or not exist at all. Has gotten a little better as I got older, but have alot of anxiety in adulthood as well as depression. Have been treated off and on. I have a tendency to be self destructive. For example, push people away, eating disorder (weight gain), not taking my medicine properly, etc. Just wondering if there is a missing link...that has been the cause or culprit.

WOW !!! I swear you where talking about me. I have the same issues and was told I have a learning issue. I have been taking meds for over 20 yrs and march.1998 I ended up with a stroke. { they don't know why I had a stroke - most likely due to my old life - All I wanted to do was die . I stopped doing drugs 2 yrs before I had a stroke} life then was very bad, depression, hurting myself with objects etc..
Depression lowers self worth and can destroy a life. they are still trying to control my inbalance in my head but I still struggle. anxiety is very bad. the older i get the worse it seems to be. Doctors keep trying.
NOBODY understands what depressed people truly feel . But there are groups out there that do understand ! It sure is nice to be able to talk with people who have experienced depression, anxiety, etc...
Thank you for sharing your story.

Thanks for your post and welcome!

You may have a chemical imbalance in your brain that needs medication to normalize.

Did you have an unhappy childhood? Did anything happen to you that would cause depression? If so, and if you don't stick with therapy or resolve the problems, they will return.

But a chemical imbalance may really be the case, especially since you felt like your were in a fog, during your childhood. This indicates that your brain may be lacking in certain chemicals or hormones (or has too many).

Have you had testing for this?

I hope to hear back from you!

Thank you so much for your advise. What kind of testing for hormones should be done? I just went to an endocrinologist who did test my thyroid and said nothing was wrong. My hair is falling out, itching, headaches and many other symptoms led another doctor to send me to the endocrinologist for an evaluation. I feel like this doctor was not taking me seriously and said that I should be checked for fibromyalsia. There were not really any unhappy things in my childhood. I was just always very tired and depressed and socially inept. Anxiety came later. Just would like someone to take me seriously and help me find a solution. I see my psychiatrist again in January. My daughter was just diagnosed with ADHD and was put on a psytropic drug for moods and an adhd medicine. Hope all goes well for her. She is 22. Thank you for any info you may have.

Hi again and thanks for your update.

We have neurotransmitters in our brains that trigger good feelings, or tell us how to act under stress (for example, the fight or flight response)  - and when we don't have enough of them, we can become anxious or depressed and be unable to cope well. Some examples of these neurotransmitters are serotonin, dopamine and epinephrine.

Unfortunately there isn't a definitive test to know if there is a problem in this area but doctors generally run a serious of test questions to see if it may be the case. Natural remedies like sunlight (limited, obviously) and physical exercise, sex and positive communication with others are known to help balance these neurotransmitters, as can medication, if the natural ways don't work.

I'm glad you got your thyroid checked and this was eliminated as a possible cause.

I highly recommend exercise and some time in the sun - even if it's really cold sun. Are you partaking in these activities? The mind benefits from exercise just as much as the body and I really can't recommend it enough. Talk therapy should also help; I'm glad you are seeing your therapist next month. Is there a reason why you cannot go any sooner or more often?

Anxiety Guide