I have had gardnerella for over 2 years now.

My doctor has been treating it with metronidazole but it hasn't really helped. My doctor believes I'm just prone to it and it's nothing to worry about. However, this causes me a lot of discomfort and I don't want to live the rest of my life with this infection. Do you recommend a different type of treatment?
thank you.

Thanks for reaching out to EmpowHER with your question and I am sorry you are dealing with recurrent infections - it can make life very uncomfortable.

Gardnerella infections (also called bacterial vaginosis or BV) are often treated with oral or vaginal metronidazole which is what has been given to you or vaginal clindamycin. So-called nonspecific vaginitis is usually caused by gardnerella , but there are other causes.

While clindamycin and metronidazole are popular choices for treating bacterial vaginosis, tinidazole is a third option. An oral medication, tinidazole is taken once a day.

Have you tried the these other medications? It may be worth a try.

We have a section on BV on EmpowHER for further reading - you can check it out here: http://www.empowher.com/condition/bacterial-vaginosis

Bacterial Vaginosis