Ears, Nose & Throat

Ears, Nose & Throat Guide

ask: I have had a rattely cough and common cold since Feb.1. I woke up yesterday with NO voice!

I have no voice and have a singing competition in 2 weeks! Have been nursing a cold and chest congestion since Feb 1st. I took Mucinex DM (big Mistake) to try to clear up the chest congestion,and cough up the mucus...that is working, but now I have no voice!I take very good care of my vocal folds...no asprin...no caffiene etc...great immune system but 6 people in my house had this ...and it was bound to happen. I need to be 100% vocally by mid March! Help!!!

Diane Porter

Anon,

Alison is absolutely right. You need to get yourself to a doctor, ASAP, to get checked out. You need to be sure that your cold is not turning into a respiratory infection that needs antibiotics.

A doctor can also give you medicine for your lungs in the form of an inhaler if that is what will help you heal the most quickly. It's not just a matter of cough syrup or warm tea with lemon in it (though the latter helps soothe your voice a lot! try it!). It's a matter of breathing in deeply enough to sing, having control of your breath, AND having the full use of your voice box, without hoarseness or raspy-ness.

Will you go? And come back and update us?

And good lucky on the singing competition!!!

You could be better within a few weeks if you go to the doctor! The common cold is caused by a virus, that can cause coughing and other symptoms (like losing your voice).

Losing your voice after a cold and cough could simply be laryngitis or pharyngitis (both easy to treat), and if you go to the doctor to get a diagnosis, these conditions (or other condition you may have) could be treated and remedied within a few weeks.