I have had severely sensitive nipples ever since puberty and can't stand to be touched or where clothing without a tightly secured bra on underneath. It ruins my life and has prevented me from having a healthy relationship for years. What can I do?

By April 26, 2011 - 12:29pm

The feeling is very uncomfortable, like an itch/tickle and often combined with painful tenderness in my whole breast area. No doctors have been able to help me find any successful solutions to this point. Sone days I feel almost suicidal because it's an awful and yet seemingly small problem that interferes with my whole life and holds me back from enjoying my life on a number of levels. I get no relief from the sensitivity ever. When it feels the worst, I have to wear bandaids over my nipples to prevent as much friction as possible. Please help me find a solution to this issue that has been plaguing me for the last 15 years. I'm desperate.

I wish I would have seen this in 2011. It seems as if Rosa already posted about the herb here, but I'll still share my story in case someone missed what Rosa said.

I was a little embarrassed to share, but my girlfriend convinced me that I may help others by posting. I was having the same issue where the nipples were too sensitive to touch. If someone slightly grazed me, I would jump. They felt like it was being tickled. Sometimes even touching them myself would be too much. It was extremely frustrating during intimacy. Sometimes I would get angry with my partner. The nipples could only be touched when I was really excited or I would be turned off.

This occurred strangely in my early 20's and lasted until now 5-6 years later. I have not had any surgeries, I have not had any children and when I visit the doctor everything looks "normal". The doctors could not help me, and most people don't quite understand when you try to explain it.

I started trying different supplements and herbs, and I finally found one that works for me. I wanted to wait it out before I posted anywhere. It has been over a month of "testing" and I am back to normal I could cry. I am a real person with a real problem, so please don't think I'm advertising for a product. I tried an herb called "Vitex" or chasteberry in capsule form. It is supposed to balance out your hormones. It also brings down your menstrual cycle faster, and makes some women more fertile -- so just warning on that.

Please do your research if you decide to take the herb. Also, please consult with your doctor. I do not think anyone can give medical advice on here. I just wanted to post about what has finally worked for me after many years of frustration. I hope I help someone.

Have any of you ever tried what is called Desenitization???

I'm not sure which "anonymous" person you are asking (since so many of us are) ;) but I have tried desensitization but I really can't do it because it makes me nautious.

I have also dealt with this since I developed ...about 30 years. It affects my daily life. I was wondering if the nerves could be severed to stop it. I know a surgical procedure is a big deal but I'm willing to do anything at this point.

I feel your pain. I've had similar/same issue since I was 19 (right after birth of first child) - I'm 33 now. My breasts don't usually hurt (unless around cycles/pregnancies) but my nipples are ALWAYS sensitive to the point of pain. I can't let the shower hit them directly, can't sleep without wireless bra/sleep bra, can NEVER go without support(bra) and have had serious issues in love life because it hurts to be touched so no fun there. I've tried no caffeine, I'm gluten&dairy free, and I take a daily vitamin.... I can't seem to find anyone who knows anything about this. There aren't even any health articles about it. The only answers I ever see are hormones (which would allow for periods of relief when changed), and breastfeeding.... I'm about to start trying a nipple numbing cream I found online... we'll see how that works. PLEASE let me know if you find out ANYTHING. It really is a nightmare to deal with. :/

I'm just curious if you ever found help. I too have had this problem for 20 years and have found no answers. Doctors are completely clueless. Tested me for all sorts of things and find nothing. I have been on diets, done accupunture, tried medications, creams. Nothing has helped and it has only gotten worse. So if anyone has found any kind of help I would be grateful to know where. Thank you.

Anonymous (reply to the_beav23)

I have also suffered from severe to extreme breast pain in both breast for over six years. It has basically ended my life. I have lost my business, friends, associates and have been bedridden for most of the last six years and almost completely bedridden for the last 2 years. I have seen many doctors and taken many tests but doctors seem unfamiliar with my symptoms and mostly disinterested. I have spent my life savings on medical tests and co-pays and living expenses over the last six years so I am very limited when it comes to spending more money on more medical tests and co-pays. To start over again with new doctors will mean taking all of the same tests all over again since it's been over a year since I've had most medical tests.

My breast pain is real and can't be solved with 10-15 minute doctor's appointments and basic test. I was healthly with no previously diagnosed health problems before the breast pain started in 2005. Until that time I had very little experience with doctors. I have been shocked by the lack of interest and the lack of compassion that I have experienced from doctors. It seems that since I don't have high blood pressure, high cholesterol, high blood sugar, heart problems or any other common ailment, doctors don't know how to help me. It's very sad to known that anyone can suffer from the kind of pain that I experience everyday without being able to find even one doctor who cares enough to take some extra time to help to resolve this issue.

Someone referred me to this site today and I think it's a great resource to find help and/or support. I hope that anyone suffering from breast pain similar to what I have experienced for over 6 years can find help here.

Evening Primrose Oil is something that I have read might help but it didn't help much for me. Calcium, Vitamin D, and Omega 3's are other supplements/herbs that I have read might help.

Good luck in your search for help and relief from your pain.

A compassionate reader who shares your pain...

Found a few with great reviews for you:

Dr. Taz Varkey
(310) 652-5550
8635 W 3rd St
Ste 680W
Los Angeles, CA 90048

Dr. Christine Collins
8631 W 3rd Street
Los Angeles, CA 90048
(310) 278-1490

Dr. Susan Cohen Morrison
8920 W Olympic Blvd
Beverly Hills, CA 90211
(310) 247-8920

Let me know if you need more suggestions! Good Luck!

Hi Helpfinally,

I am so sorry that you've had to endure this for 15 years. You mentioned that no doctors have been able to help you find relief-- I am assuming this means that you have been tested for possible conditions that could be causing this pain on your breasts? Have you had any abnormal results? Have you had any hormone tests done? Sometimes the breast pain can come from the body not being able to adapt to changes in hormones.

I don't think you should give up on your quest to find a doctor to help you. If you need help finding one in your area, we will be glad to help. In the meantime, have you tried these comfort measures?

Wear a soft bra at night.
Avoid jogging, aerobics or other high-impact exercises.
Make sure your bra fits correctly – get properly measured by a specialist fitter (most department stores have one).
If you are taking any hormones, such as the oral contraceptive pill or hormone replacement therapy (HRT), consider stopping them for a while to see if the breast pain lessens. Breast pain seems to be common in women who have recently started HRT.
Try a low-fat diet. There is some evidence that high levels of saturated fats in the blood make the breasts more sensitive to hormone levels, so it may be worth changing your diet. Avoid fatty meat, cheese, full-fat milk, cream, butter and anything made of pastry. Instead eat oily fish, such as herring and mackerel, twice a week. Fill up with carbohydrates (bread, potatoes, rice, pasta), fresh fruit and vegetables.
Try avoiding coffee and cola drinks for a few weeks to see if this makes any difference.
Consider Vitus agnus castus (Chasteberry), which is available from health-food stores. It affects various hormones, such as progesterone, and may help cyclical breast pain, though the scientific evidence is scanty (American Family Physician 2005; 72:821–4).

Let me know if this helps,

Anonymous (reply to Rosa Cabrera RN)

Dear Rosa,

I am so grateful that there are caring people like you and your staff to try to help me. Thank you for that.
The problem is more and uncomfortable itchy/tickle feeling than it is painful, though sometimes it is a combination of both. I have tried the hormone testing, altering my diet, candida diet, cut caffeine, which I hate going without, tried hypnosis one time, acupuncture, alternative health suggestions. I don't really know what else to do. I'd like to talk to a specialist, I think. I can't seem to find any information about my problem online or in books, but I can't be the only person to have this problem. Someone must know something.

People have told me it is in my head and that I need counselling. It can't possibly all be in my head, as it affects me when I'm not thinking about it and it's such a constant issue. There's something physically uncomfortable going on that I need some relief from. What should I do?

Breast Pain

Breast Pain Guide