I have irregular periods can I still get pregnant?

By June 16, 2010 - 10:53am

when I was 15 years old I started having very heavy long periods and my dr put me on birth control I got married in 2007 and stopped taking the pill not by drs order but just because I didnt want to be on birth control anymore. some times i had periods sometimes I didnt and when I did have them they were very long and heavy. now me and my huband are trying to have kids and I went to my dr first to see if my body was ok and they did an ultra sound and pelvic exam and they said everything was in perfect shape but once again sometimes I have periods and sometimes I dont so my dr put me on birthcontrol pills for 3 months to regulate my period and she said after that I can stop taking them. i have taken one pack already and my period started on the 9th of june and ended on the 14th of june i have not started the new pack yet whcih means i missed 4 days including today so far I dont understand why I am on birth control if I want to have a baby. No one in my family has problems with infertitlty so i dont think thats an issue but I dont know what to do can you help?

Hi linda21

The quick answer is that many women can (eventually) get pregnant with irregular periods - it just may take a lot longer.

I think your doctor put you on birth control pills to try to regulate your periods for at least three months - to see if your body was then capable of doing it on it's own. It may not work because the hormones in the pills are what regulate you. Once you stop taking them, it's certainly possible for you to be back to have irregular periods.

But do keep taking them for now. Call your doctor about the missed pills as you may have to start over again at this stage. Give the pills a few months and then see if you are regular on your own after you stop taking them. It's definitely worth a shot.

If you find that you remain very irregular, make sure you have sex frequently so as not to miss a chance of ovulation and especially during days 10-20 of your cycle. If you are not pregnant within a year of trying, you may need to discuss further options with your doctor (fertility treatments, Clomid, ovulation trackers etc (in fact, you should be using ovulation trackers now - you can find them at any drugstore)).

linda21, how long have you been trying for a baby (excluding the month of being on the Pill)? Has it been months? A year? Longer? And can you tell me your age, and that of your husband?

I am 21 and my husband is 32 we have not been trying yet but we want to like right after I get off the pill and I was just wondering is it possible and I know this may sound sound crazy but I dont even know how to track my cycle and I thought that your cycle was only yhe 7 days you have your period.

(reply to Anonymous)

Hi, Anon,

Your period is what is typically 7 days long. But your "cycle" is actually the word for how long it takes you to go from Day 1 of your period to Day 1 of your NEXT period. So the typical "cycle" is from 25-35 days long.

Somewhere in the middle of your cycle -- typically between days 11-15 -- you ovulate. Women who are tracking their cycles on a calendar in hopes of becoming pregnant are trying to target this time of month, because it is when the sperm can fertilize the egg and you can become pregnant.

In tracking your cycles, you can do everything from simply keeping track of them on a calendar so you can see if any patterns develop all the way to taking your temperature every day and using over-the-counter ovulation tests to see when you are most fertile. But the most basic thing you are trying to figure out is when you are ovulating.

Here's a great page from the American Pregnancy Association that answers a lot of questions about this:

Does that help?