i have kidney stones on left side.the doctor is waiting another week to stent it,is that normal?

i have birth defects on left side and upper pole of kidney removed due to defect.i am on the third or forth stone this year.i think its damaging an already compromised kidney.

Thanks for responding.Im scheduled for stent Oct.18th.Yes lots of pain.Iam taking prescription pain med and nausea med.Iam also drinking lots of water to flush at least one out.I should be use to this but it always scares me.

HERWriter Guide (reply to jmj)

Hi jmj

It's perfectly normal to be scared, even if this has happened several times before. Pain with kidney stones can be excruciating and even prescription meds may not help much.It's terrible that you are in so much pain for so long. Even one day of this kind of pain is enough for a lifetime.

Have you called your doctor yet?

Thanks for your post and welcome!

Unfortunately, we can't say why your doctor is doing this. It could be as simply as he believes there is no urgency here or that next week just fits into his scheduling better.

Anon, I think it's a good idea to call him. Today is Friday, when next week are you scheduled to go in?Are you in pain?

IVe been really sick from hy dronephrosis.Its been bad for me.I had the stent put in on the 18th and I took it out on the 20th.I could tell it wasnt right when it was in.The pain was terrible,worse than any other tme Ive had a stent.I assumed that when I removed the stent that my pain level wouldhv gotten better but,no.It was much ,much worse.Normaly,After i remove the stent Iam feeling much better within an hour.Didnt happen this time.By Sunday afternoon I went to ER.They did a ct and said it was swollen ,I spent the night for observation and pain control.

HERWriter Guide (reply to jmj)

Hi jmj

I am so sorry this didn't work well for you. Are you home now? What are the doctors doing to fix this?

I go back today to see doctor.He wants to make sure swelling is going down and check to make sure bladder empties propperly.It hasnt been and I had the same problem as a baby.I know it isnt right still.I also know that every sick person needs an advocate at The hospital w them.Not having health insurance does change the outcome of how you are treated,and what they are willing to do.Its a shame.Human lives arent top priority,money seems to be.This is a nightmare.I cant imagine how people worse off than me get through medical emergencies w no help of an advocate.I barely got the correct meds when I left hosp. This is after its what my doctor ordered and a PA decided to not read the orders.And do it her way.Had it not been for my husband getting my doctor to come back to get it straight I would be back in hospital by now.Thank you for "listening"as I dont have much support.Thank Goodness I have urologist that actualy listens,talks to me like a person.Past doctors havent been so helpful,informative or nice.I do still have pain and I hope we get a plan together today.They have medicine that helps block stone formation.this is the first Ive heard they analyzed my stones.So bright side is we have solved one issue.To bad it took 15 years to do it.

HERWriter Guide (reply to jmj)

Hi again jmj - I can't imagine being in so much pain for so many years. That's enough to drive anyone into a depression on top of all the physical stress. I'm glad you are educated in your condition and that you have your husband by your side and a compassionate doctor.

Please stay in touch with us!