I have MVP and currently have an abcessed tooth. What should I know?

The MVP symptoms are now worse since the infection in my gums and face.

Dear Anon

Thanks so much for your question and welcome!

I'm sorry you're dealing with both an abscessed tooth and MVP.

Empowher describes MVP as " a common, usually benign heart disorder. The mitral valve controls blood flow between the upper (atrium) and lower (ventricle) chambers on the left side of the heart. Normally, blood should only flow in one direction, from the upper chamber into the lower chamber. In MVP, the valve flaps don’t work properly; part of the valve balloons into the atrium, which may be associated with blood flowing in the wrong direction, or leaking back into the atrium.

Regarding symptoms :

"People with mitral valve prolapse often have no symptoms at all. If symptoms do occur, however, they may include one or more of the following:

◦Irregular heart beat
◦Chest pain
◦Panic attacks or anxiety
◦Rapid heart beat (palpitations)
◦Sensation of missed heart beats
◦Shortness of breath
◦Intestinal problems (such as irritable bowel syndrome ) "
Read more about it here : http://www.empowher.com/media/reference/mitral-valve-prolapse

Has your abscess been cleaned out? If it has been treated then it should take long to heal. Are you on medication for it? Make sure your meds don't counteract with any meds you are on for your MVP.
There is a chance that what you are feeling is solely to due the abscessed tooth. Symptoms of that include :

◦Throbbing/lingering pain in a tooth or gum area
◦Pain when biting on a tooth
◦Spontaneous tooth pain
◦Redness, tenderness, or swelling of the gums
◦Swollen glands in the neck
◦Discoloration of a tooth
◦Bad breath or foul taste in mouth
◦Open, draining sore on the gums

If left untreated, complications of tooth abscess can include:

◦Loss of tooth and surrounding tissues or bone
◦Spread of infection to surrounding tissue or bone

Read more on this here : http://www.empowher.com/media/reference/tooth-abscess

You didn't mention medications - are you taking medications for either situation? And can you tell us what symptoms of MVP are increasing, or do they relate instead to any of the symptoms to tooth abscess here mentioned above?

Please fill me in with some of your details and we can help you further! We look forward to hearing from you soon!

I feel more of a "pinching" in my chest and more palpitations. I no longer take beta blockers for MVP but have began taking Clindimyacin for the abcess and will have to have the tooth removed soon. When first diagnosed with MVP I experienced "pinching" in my chest (heart area) but it is only occassional. Since the tooth infection, it has been almost constant.