Genital Warts

Genital Warts Guide

ask: I have only had one outbreak of genital warts. They went away and I haven't seen them again. Am I still a risk for spreading? And if so, what kind of things should I say to my partner? We haven't had sex yet because I don't want to spread anything...

Anonymous

She did not perform a test. She does visually diagnosed it and then went it got the freeze off stuff (OUCH). I have been tested for HPV and they always came back negative.
I always had my doubts that it was really nothing because I never had had another bump and it did not irritate or grow any larger when it was there. Just never had a true outlet to ask!

Susan Cody HERWriter Guide (reply to Anonymous)

A visual diagnosis was a huge mistake in her part, that was very bad form and unprofessional.

Of course, we can't say for sure but it sounds like there is a chance you never had genital warts.

Keep up your cervical health checks as you're doing and stay well - I'm sorry that was done to you.

~Susan

The same thing happened to me... a visual diagnosis and that was it. She never took a sample or anything.It's been 2 years and no return of anything. can they test for warts now without an outbreak? or can they only test for hpv? i don't really understand it. i want to know to be able to tell my partner. we've talked about it and as far as our relationship we're under the impression that i do have it because my doctor told me... but if i can find out one way or another for sure with a test that would be wonderful.....

Hi Ladies,

If there is no wart, there is no way to do a biopsy. However, you can get annual paps and when you do, request an HPV test. If both are clear, then it's likely so are you! However, the HPV test cannot always be 100% accurate due to the many strains of HPV. You can read more on that here: http://www.thebody.com/content/art43595.html?ic=2004

But I would think clear paps AND clear HPV would generally indicate good cervical health.

~Susan

Anonymous

I have an additional question. 3 years ago I had a small "bump" on the skin below my vagina, almost between the anus and the vagina. I immediately went to the doctor which was planned parenthood. The person I saw ( I am not sure if she was a nurse or doctor) did say it was a genital wart and burned it off. It never came back to this day. I have also had 2 normal pap smears since then and have had sexual intercourse. What does this mean? Was it a false alarm and really was not a wart or did it just go away?

Thanks for your question - it's a good one.

Unless the nurse excised some of the tissue and sent it for testing, she could not (and should not) have diagnosed it as being a genital wart. It may have been a harmless skin tag or even a kind of pimple that can happen from use or overuse of strongly scented body washes or a shower gel that was too harsh for that part of your body. Some women can only use specially formulated body washes for their genital regions or they have a reaction.

Did she perform a test?

The only advice we can give you is to give this information to your doctor and ask for an HPV test, since your paps are clear (and that's a good sign!).

We cannot tell you definitively what's going on but there is a chance this was never an STD in the first place.

~Susan

Anonymous

no, they are what my doctor diagnosed me with. i had no clue what it was. she did not swab me at all. she just visually diagnosed me. i'm not due for my next pap until next month... but i'll be getting one. i was prepared to tell my partner about the warts, but that comment really threw me and i think i'll still be tested for herpes, just in case...

Anonymous

i'm sorry, i just am completely freaked out... i've been researching hpv for a while now and to think it could possibly be herpes... holy cow. i don't live where i used to anymore, but i guess i'm going to have to go to the doctor now. i'm just unsure what i should be asking for now...

Rosa Cabrera RN (reply to Anonymous)

Anon, on your original post you said "Genital Warts" is that what your doctor diagnosed you with or is it what it looked like to you? If your doctor diagnosed you with Genital Warts-- then it is not herpes. Herpes and Genital Warts are two different STD's. Genital Warts are caused by HPV, Herpes is caused by the Herpes simplex virus. Did your doctor swab you at any point? or perform a pap smear? Remember you can call her office to verify your diagnosis.

Rosa Cabrera RN (reply to Rosa Cabrera RN)

Here's a video you may find helpful-- http://www.empowher.com/genital-warts/content/genital-warts-what-are-the...

Hope this helps ease you a bit.