I have Parkinson's, UtI's, balance and constipation, help!

I have been a very fit person all my life and bingo, Parkinson's and now I am hum
bled by symptoms I can't control. Balance, constant UTI's and constipation plus a voice
slur. I will try anything to make one of these symptoms easier to live with help!

The most common dermatologic manifestation of chronic Lyme disease, acrodermatitis chronica atrophicans, seen occasionally in Europe and rarely in the United States, has not been reported from Australia."

That quote you included from the link you give is totally confusing isn't it? - the "most common" thing is rarely seen in the US, and occasionally in Europe? How can the most common be rarely seen? I am still looking at all this, but doubt that my doctor would test me even if I asked. Thanks for your info, I will look at the Oz ones.

Sorry - meant to say; the best thing I have taken for constipation is called Normacol plus - it is made from Sterculia and Frangula -whatever they are - but is better for me than the only other option that worked for me, and that was Epsom Salts - I hated drinking that so much I used to buy empty gel capsules and make up capsules of it - unfortunately the granules are large and it took many capsules to make up one dose. Then my hands became too painful to fill the capsules and every time my friends and family called in they would automatically reach for the "box of ingredients" and make up Epsom Salts capsules for me. I am so glad I don't have to take that any more -

How can I find out if my Fibromyalgia is actually Lyme Disease? I have certainly had ticks on me over the years from living in the bush - is Lyme Disease found in Australia also?

(reply to Crowsister)

The discussion about whether Lyme disease is present in Australia is quite a controversial one. Some people are quite convinced it is, others say no.

Here is an excerpt from a CDC document:

"Over the past 6 years, principally because of local publicity, there has been an increase in serologic testing for Lyme disease in Australia, particularly in southeastern Australia. Testing has often been initiated by patients with undiagnosed health problems. Thus, most Lyme disease patients seen by infectious disease specialists are self selected and are referred for assessment on the basis of tick exposure and reported positive serologic test results for Lyme disease.

"Patients with positive serologic test results frequently have long-standing symptoms for which no other diagnosis has been established. The most common symptoms are musculoskeletal, including myalgias and arthralgias without objective evidence of joint swelling, and syndromes involving fatigue and loss of energy resembling chronic fatigue syndrome. Some patients fulfill diagnostic criteria for fibromyalgia. The next most common symptoms are neurological, and include frequent headaches, inability to concentrate, and memory loss. The most common dermatologic manifestation of chronic Lyme disease, acrodermatitis chronica atrophicans, seen occasionally in Europe and rarely in the United States, has not been reported from Australia."

This is the link to that page:

There is now a Lyme Disease Association of Australia, which has a blog (scroll down to read others' comments):

And here's a forum where Aussies are talking about this:

Will you take a look and see if those are of some help?

Thank Anon

I'm going to sink my teeth into this information, I appreciate the info and links.

BTW, much of what is diagnosed as fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome is actually Lyme Disease. Just my opinion, and that of many others in the Lyme community, both physicians and patients.

This person very likely has chronic multi-system disseminated LYME DISEASE. There is an epidemic in this country. The standard tests miss half the cases. This is a Public Health Disaster. Even CDC acknowledges that the actual number of cases is probably TEN TIMES the number of reported cases. Many Lyme patients are misdiagnosed with Parkinson's or even Lou Gerig's. Parkinson's is a RARE disease. Lyme Disease IS NOT. If you hear hoofbeats in Central Park, think HORSES, not ZEBRAS.

This is interesting information. Can you link us to the studies you read or the CDC stats? I'd love to read more and perhaps discuss it on an Empowher article. I hope to hear from you!

Susan: From CDC website:

"Surveillance for LD is subject to several limitations. Studies from the early 1990s suggested that LD cases were underreported by six to 12-fold in some areas where LD is endemic (2,3); the current degree of underreporting for national data is unknown. In addition, differences in the demographics of reported cases among states with above- and below-average incidence suggest variation in diagnostic and reporting practices among states. Clinicians are reminded that the LD case definition was developed for surveillance purposes and might not be appropriate for clinical management of individual patients (1). "

the link to the CDC webpage where I got the above quote:

Best websites to learn about Lyme Disease are lymenet.org and ILADS.org. ILADS is the Int'l Lyme & Associated Diseases Society. ILADS guidelines are at variance with IDSA guidelines, which are currently being reviewed pursuant to a settlement with CT Attorney General Richard Blumenthal.

See the documentary 'Under Our Skin", and read Pam Weintraub's book Cure Unknown. You will learn about the public health disaster that is Lyme Disease. People are DYING of Lyme Disease because they were diagnosed too late. People are being misdiagnosed with MS, Lou Gehrig's, and Parkinson's, when what they really have is a potentially curable condition: Lyme Disease. Once Lyme has become chronic due to failure to timely diagnose and treat, it is VERY DIFFICULT to eradicate.
I myself have been on high dose multiple antibiotics for almost 2 years now. I have improved, but I am not yet cured. This is because I was undiagnosed and misdiagnosed for 15 years. I will say it again, this is a PUBLIC HEALTH DISASTER.

Parkinson's Disease

Parkinson's Disease Guide